News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine issues

Started by wch, October 10, 2013, 09:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wch

I have two DCC GP 40 engines that I'v had for a couple of years. One is now acting up. While staged on a live track the engine will move. Sometime it creeps about a inch other times it moves feet. I'v turn the throttle past zero to be sure there's no speed still set. The engine runs great while in operations it just won't sit still. Is this a sign the decoder is going out?

Help
Bill

jonathan

Bill,

I recognize this symptom.  Since, I don't know your DCC system, this may not be your problem.  However...

Our club uses a Digitrax DCC setup.  When we have been running trains over a long period of time, somehow the memory builds up a long list of addresses in the history.  We know there are too many addresses stored when trains start moving on their own.  This is a sign that it's time to "clear" the memory.  I'm not too savvy on how this is done.  Our DCC gurus take care of this problem very quickly and all is well.  It's very weird when trains start running when no throttle commands have been given.

May not be your problem, but the light bulb lit when I read your post.  Just a thought.

Regards,

Jonathan

GN.2-6-8-0

Correct jonathon' problem usually arise's because engineers forget to dispatch their engines when finishing a session and removing the motive power from the layout.after awhile the slot table will need to be cleared of those locomotive numbers.
Been down that road!
And if the throttle was not zeroed out that throttle setting is still in the computer causing the engine to start moving at that last throttle setting
Rocky Lives

wch

Thanks guys for the info. Yes I do have digitrax empire builder FOR 3 - 4 years now and have never dispatched a loco. I have to reference the manual on how to clear this up. Dispatching is something I read but really didn't grasp.

Thank \s again
Bill

wch

Guys I read the book about clearing the slot and it seems to have done the trick

Thanks a lot

Bill

GN.2-6-8-0

Glad we could be of service.
Rocky Lives