News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new forney has buzzing noise

Started by sagegraqy, November 02, 2013, 01:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagegraqy

I just received a new on30 Forney and found a rather noisy (buzzing) sound when slowly starting to move.  If I hold the tender or put resistance the sound goes away.  Seems like some part vibration.  I am planning to install sound so I removed the tender housing and ran it.  Buzzing still occurred.   sound seems to be coming from the rear (tender area)

Any help?  has this been a common problem?

NarrowMinded

Run it on regular dc if the noise goes away it's from the motor, some decoder settings can eliminate most of the buzz...

Nm-Jeff

ScottyB

After trying it on DC, try to swap decoders. For whatever reason I've found the stock decoders are sometimes good, sometimes bad. Oddly swapping a "buzzing" decoder into a different engine works wonders, and vice versa.

My new forney buzzes as well, and I'll be picking up a new decoder at Trainfest this weekend to swap into it. I'm confident that will solve the issue.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Stevelewis

Quote from: ScottyB on November 03, 2013, 11:29:58 PM
After trying it on DC, try to swap decoders. For whatever reason I've found the stock decoders are sometimes good, sometimes bad. Oddly swapping a "buzzing" decoder into a different engine works wonders, and vice versa.

My new forney buzzes as well, and I'll be picking up a new decoder at Trainfest this weekend to swap into it. I'm confident that will solve the issue.

Scott

I  can totally  agree  with  you,  changing  decoders  can  be  a  solution, it  happens wwith  other  manufacturers locos in different  scales so  its not an uncommon  problem,  It is  strange  though  how  the  'rogue' decoder  performs  fine  when  used  in  another  loco!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

NarrowMinded

Sometimes the decoder just syncs better with the motor, I found purely by accident that swapping the motor leads around then changing the direction in the decoder can make a difference in how smooth the motor runs, might be something to do with how the armature is clocked in relationship to the magnets...

Nm-Jeff