News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

feeder lines

Started by jaklab@comcast.net, October 10, 2013, 07:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaklab@comcast.net

hello
  i would like to add more feeder lines but do not know how to tie them into my power pack

thanks       jack

Ken G Price

Quote from: jaklab@comcast.net on October 10, 2013, 07:25:53 PM
  hello
  i would like to add more feeder lines but do not know how to tie them into my power pack

thanks       jack

I gather you are running DC and not DCC?
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

richg

Also, what is the size of the layout?
Any reverse loops?

Rich

Doneldon

Jack-

The easiest solution is to run a power buss under your layout with short (as short as possible) feeders carrying electricity up to the tracks. Unless you have a huge layout, 16 ga wire is just fine. Attach one end to your power source and run it under your tracks. Standard zip cord like you find in household extension cords and on lamps makes a good power buss. You can twist the cord a little if you want to remove any chance of DCC problems. (It isn't really necessary unless you have very long, straight tracks.) Separate the two sides of the wire from one another and then use suitcase connectors to tap power for your feeders. You can use almost any small wire for feeders, even 24 or 26 gauge. The feeders can be soldered to the undersides of rail joiners or the outside surfaces of your rails. You can also use terminal tracks but they are a lot more pricey than soldering and a lot harder to install in existing rights-of-way.
                                                                                                                                                -- D

rogertra

Lots of books out there on model railroad construction, Kalmbach has a good selection that covers everything you'll need to know.  From basic construction through DC and DCC wiring and electronics projects.

MarkInLA

I have a 30ish foot long HO DCC layout which, as long as there is nothing else like dirt or too jiggly rail joiner somewhere (not hard to find using made up car brake-light-bulb continuity tester) which runs perfectly with no buss or feeders anywhere ! I do run jumpers to a spur (s) installed past a power-routing T.O. to have both tracks always powered, and not thus affected by the switch's position. I simply tap the main line closest to them by soldering jumper wires to/from. As far as future lighting up structures, this can be done with a separate old DC power pack ...I've never had to run a buss under my layout. But I'm sure a huge club layout would need a buss and feeders...