HO Engine Shells and DCC board

Started by Balrog21, October 16, 2013, 04:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balrog21

This is directed to the 'powers that be' in the upper stories of the Bachmann company.

I was looking through the parts online catalog and of course looking through the SD40-2 section and noticed you have shells for sale. My question is why don't you offer an undecorated shell for the SD40-2? Surely it wouldn't cost as much as having one painted, and I would most definitely so cleverly lose my existing painted shells for some undecorated ones, and probably buy some more SD40-2's just for that reason alone if you offered an undecorated SD40-2 shell. Any who, just curious.

I also just got an old DC Dash 8 Spectrum in HO scale and I want to upgrade it to DCC. I saw the board for DCC, but does it come with instructions on how to wire it up, and also saw the 8 pin decoder I will have to buy as well. Just want to have my bases covered before I drop the cash.

Best,
Bal

jbrock27

I'm sure you know the answer you will get from the Yardmaster.  The same answer you have gotten before with your question JP about undecorated shells.

I can give you the name of a company who produces undecorated SD40-2 shells.
Another option would be to strip the paint off a shell you have.  I have read about using alcohol or Pine Sol to do it.

Did you ever get that frame repaired on the Athearn where the coupler mount was broken/missing?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

if the c40-8 does not have a dcc socket, it can be converted by following the steps in the link below.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

GG1onFordsDTandI

I think he wants to know if a wiring diagram sheet is included in the package, or if he has to chase one of those down too. I unfortunately don't know, but am curious too.

jward

with this or any other split frame locomotive you don't need a wiring diagram. the wiring is straightforward and self explanatory. power is conducted through the frame halves which are insulated from each other. the motor and circuit board use contacts that rub against the frame, as do the trucks. there is no wiring per se.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

If I am not mistaken, I believe it was Jim Banner demonstrating on that link you posted Jeff.
Keep Calm and Carry On