News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BACHMANN BRASS TRACK DIMENSIONS?

Started by twojags, October 17, 2013, 02:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twojags

I have searched the forum for technical information on the Bachmann Bras Track but so far without success. Does anyone know the precise dimensions of each section and for curves whether the radii is measured to the centre line or outer edge ? The information would be most useful to create accurate software aided layout plans.
Thanks for any help.
John

JerryB

John:

The dimensions for Bachmann's Large Scale brass track are found here:

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=255_467_646

Model RR track radius is always measured to the centerline of the track.

Note that the page referenced above gives the curved track dimensions as DIAMETER. Be certain to divide by two for the radius.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

armorsmith

Also be aware that the listed diameter, length, etc are imperial dimension approximation of metric actuals.  There is also a certain amount of 'flex' in the curves that allow for slight alignment adjustments.  I would caution to use the listed dimensions as a 'close guide' but I wouldn't bet the farm on any of them.

Bob C.

semper_fi

Hello, Newbe here. Just a follow up question.... when they say a box of 16 pieces are an 8' track diameter, is this a full circle or half?

SF 

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: semper_fi on October 22, 2013, 11:27:32 AM
Hello, Newbe here. Just a follow up question.... when they say a box of 16 pieces are an 8' track diameter, is this a full circle or half?

SF 

You can measure diameter with only half a circle. Diameter is measurement of a circle, along its axis/centerline. Radius is from the center(bulls eye) out, along the same line. It is half the diameter. In other words an 8' diameter circle fits in an 8'x8' square...Sort of anyhow, you see some track is measured from track center between the rails on each side of a circle, other makers measure outside rail to outside rail, or other points on the track. It varies by scale and manufacturer.   

Chuck N

SF

My guess is that it is for a full circle.  Bachmann's 4' and 5' track are 12 to a box.  Similar to LGB's R1 and R2.  Each requiring 12 (30 degree) sections for a full circle.  LGB's R3 (8' diameter) required 16 pieces (22.5 degrees) for a full circle.  My guess is that Bachmann is following LGB.

Chuck

semper_fi

Thank you all, and especially Chuck. That was I was looking for. I've run HO and 027 in the past (like 50 years ago) and want to build an overhead G Gauge in our sun porch. I ran across a post on another forum that said the Bachmann track was not 8', but 8' 5"s. That would have thrown my support off. I am planning to get the overhead setup from Ceilingtrainkit.com and they require the exact dimensions of the curve to accurately build and provide the layout for my overhead train.

Now I know that the 8' diameter is correct.

Any comments on my plan sure would be appreciated.

SF   

Chuck N

SF, your question was about the number of sections to a full circle.  That I answered. I do not know the exact diameter for the Bachmann track.  All my track is by other, not to be named, manufacturers.

Chuck

semper_fi

Thank you for the clarification, Chuck. I guess I'll have to wait until the track arrives and measure it laid out on the floor. I don't want to guess on this.

SF

Chuck N

SF

When you lay it out do the full circle.  Measuring a half circle isn't as easy as it seems.  There is a lot of flex in the track joiners.  A full circle with several measurements across will yield a reasonable average for the diameter.

Chuck

semper_fi

Thank you for the tip..... that sure makes sense!

SF

Loco Bill Canelos

I definitely recommend getting the track and measuring exactly what you want to do before ordering an expensive custom ceiling track support system, unless the Ceilingtrainkit folks take returns!! 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

The Bachmann LS brass track probably follows the old LGB dimensions.

After dusting off my notebook, I found the following: 

LGB Brass Curve Track Dimensions:

R1 = 1200mm or 47.24" (~4 ft) diameter, 12/circle or 30 degrees each. (11000, 12000 series.)

R2 = 1560mm or 61.42" (~5 ft) diameter, 12/circle or 30 degrees each. (15000)

R3 = 2390mm or 94.10" (~8 ft) diameter, 16/circle or 22.5 degrees each. (16000 series.)

R4 never made?

R5 = 4640mm or 182.68" (~15 ft) diameter, 24/circle or 15 degrees each. (18000 series.)

In the end I didn't need the dusty old notebook, as all these dimensions are on my AnyRail.com free download. 

The Anyrail program also shows that the diameters are to the center line between the rails

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Upon further study of the AnyRail Aristocraft G track library,

I was surprised to learn that all but one of the Aristocraft curves

are made to English (not metric) diameters.

Bachmann brass track is not yet listed on AnyRail,

but it is possible that the Bachmann brass curves follow AC's English (not LGB's metric) lead and 

are precisely 4 ft, 5 ft and 8 ft diameter to the centerline between the rails.   

AC curve diameters:

20"
31"
4'
5'
6.5'
8'
9'
10'
11.5'
12.5'
14'
15'
16.5'
20'

The only diameter that is called out as metric is the 6000mm dia.- 9.45 degree curve, which is used to bring the divergent routes of both the large and wye turnouts back to parallel. (6000mm is ~4" shy of 20 feet.)   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

twojags

Thanks everyone for your helpful contributions and for taking the trouble to respond.  The reason for the original request is that I am endeavouring to get the Bachmann Track Sections added to the track library for my Anyrail Software. The programmers may need more precise measurements but hopefully this may be sufficient information.

John