News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Unpacking 3 Truck Shay, Third Truck

Started by KD0R, October 20, 2013, 06:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KD0R

Just unpacked our 3 Truck Shay.  This is the second one we've received, the first was damaged and returned.  I went straight to the video to follow along with the lubrication instructions.  During this time I noted that there is no freedom of movement in the truck under the water tender.  It appears that it's supposed to rotate like most trucks, yet it has only about 5 degrees of movement.  Did I miss something that needs to be removed?  I've not seen any unpacking instructions that indicate something still needs to be removed.

Thanks,
David

JerryB

The third truck on both prototype and model Shays is firmly fastened to the tank frame. That is the way three truck Shays are designed. DO NOT try to move it independent of the frame / tank assembly. Doing so can damage the locomotive. The third truck does not move independent of the tank frame & tank.

The drawbar between the end of the rigid locomotive frame and the third truck / frame / tank assembly provides the necessary freedom of movement. The drive shaft has two universal joints and a slip joint to allow this movement while providing drive power.

Write again if any of this is unclear.

Happy RRing with your new Shay,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

KD0R

Jerry

Thanks!
  Thinking about the geometry overnight I'd decided that must be the case.  Glad you were able to confirm my thoughts before I started doing a run-in today.

David