STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 16, 2019, 10:06:56 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Large
| | |-+  Any chance on the new HO trolley making it to Largescale?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any chance on the new HO trolley making it to Largescale?  (Read 2822 times)
Ted_Roy

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2007, 10:56:44 AM »

While the new HO Peter Witt is beautiful, any chance on it making it to Large Scale?  It would be a great addition to a very thin market place.

Ted Roy

Support your local Railway Museums!

Connecticut Trolley Museum
dieseldan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 11:17:11 AM »

Thin is an understatement!
To quote my 4 year old, "Pleeeeeease!"
 Smiley
the Bach-man
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 10:33:56 PM »

Dear Ted and Dan,
I'll certainly pass along the request.
Have fun!
the Bach-man
Dennis Paulson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 08:35:14 AM »

Please piggyback to Teds post another hope and wish for a large scale version of the streetcar .  Grin
trolley1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 07:55:27 PM »

Well...

Now we get into the "What Scale Should It Be?" problem.

Bachmann large scale is 1:20.3 if it is Spectrum, but 1:22.5 if not.  HOWEVER, everyone I know (East Penn Traction Club) who does large scale trolley is in Half-Inch scale, which is 1:24!

Other traction suppliers in Large Scale are all 1:24. 

Now what should Bachmann do?

Dave

Dave Gairo
Cascade Northern

Cascade Northern Railroad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 08:25:09 PM »

Do it in 1:20.3.  It would add some variety.

gbbari

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 05:47:52 PM »

Good question, Dave.  From what I could find, Peter Witt/Brill trolleys were in service from the 1920s forward to the end of regular streetcar service in the US.

Most (all?) of Bachmann's 1:20.3 is modeled after prototypes from the mid/late1800's thru early 1900's.  There could be a crossover period where Brill/Witt trolleys were found in towns where 4-6-0 Annie's (& similar) ran thru on the railroads.  I am not sure that one would find Witt trolleys out in the woods and mining areas where geared steam Shays, Heislers, and Climax locos were used.  Wink

But 1:20.3 would leave out the 1:29 modelers, and from what I have read they model mostly American themes from the 1930s forward which better coincides with the Witt trolley era..  LGB modelers have equipment that roughly centers around 1:22.5  Roll Eyes  so actually 1:24 might "play well" with both ends.  But doesn't Hartland already have a jump on this market/scale?

Sheesh.  I'm glad I don't have to make that decision..  Huh?

I guess if Bachmann wants to keep promoting 1:20.3  than that's the answer, plain and simple.  Let Aristo/Märklin-LGB/Hartland etc develop their own smaller scale versions.

That'll be a big streetcar!
Ted_Roy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 07:01:54 PM »

Even at 1:22.5 I would be happy.  It would match the LGB Streetcar and not be too far off the 1:24 stuff.  Alot of large scale trolley stuff is built from Bachmann passenger cars already...  Why not just make it the same scale as the current open and closed cars?

Just some thoughts....

Ted.

Support your local Railway Museums!

Connecticut Trolley Museum
dieseldan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 12:12:06 PM »

My head hurts... but that's not hard to do!

Seems like the most logical course would to do as Ted suggests and keep them at the same scale as the current open and closed trolleys. What IS the scale of those suckers anyway?
(I'm guessing 1:22.5?)
Does anyone know if they are freelance or are they based on  specific models?

No matter, I love seeing them trundle through the garden...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: