Import youurself from Germany?

Started by Jim, September 08, 2007, 09:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Greetings,

If you were about to go to Germany are there any model train goodies you would bring back? Especially something that might be difficult to get from within the USA?

My brother is going on rare business trip soon.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Banner

There are many, many train items produced and sold in Germany.  This includes North American type equipment.  But if I were bringing back a souvenir, I would choose one that was uniquely German, probably a model of a German locomotive.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

JerryB

Jim:

To add to Jim Banner's comments:

German / EU sales taxes are in the 16-20% range. A buyer (even a visitor) in Germany generally is required to pay this tax. There is a method for non-EU residents to reclaim this tax, but it usually isn't worth the significant effort. This means an item manufactured in Germany might cost more to purchase in Germany than in the U.S.

Germany was historically known for precision mechanics, especially in mechanical models such as our model trains. While the overall concept of quality engineering is still a German national treasure, much of the actual production of model RR components is done 'overseas' (i.e. not in Germany).

Bottom line is unless you have a specific item that is only available in Germany or, as Jim wrote, an appealing German style keepsake, you will just end up paying more for Chinese / Asian / East European  made stuff and then still have to pay to get it home

BTW: I was resident in England and / or W. Germany from 1974 to 1979, traveling frequently between Europe and the U.S. During that time, I brought lots of model RR supplies, materials and rolling stock from the U.S. to my fellow modelers in the U.K. and Europe. I was never asked to bring something from the U.K. or Europe to the U.S.!!

Hope your brother enjoys his trip!! We really enjoyed our time in the U.K and Europe!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry Bowers
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

GlennW

I'd check out magazines like Continental Modeler or others that should give the locations of model shops in Europe.  There seem to be so many quality mfr's for product we don't get or is so hard to find in the US. There must also be some museums & other displays that are a Must See for a visitor from the US.

Jim

Greetings Gents,

Thanks a bundle for the comments and suggestions. Most helpful.

Regards,
Jim

Woody Elmore

Your hard earned dollars might be better spent sampling some of the wonderful adult beverages brewed in Germany!