News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Foam/Cork glue

Started by Cascade Northern, September 14, 2007, 08:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascade Northern

So, I have a layout a friend built.  I would like to re-ballest it as it has had little up-keep since it was build, but I don't know what glue I am suppose to use.  It is foam/cork roadbed.  Would normal Elmers type glue work or no ???.  Any comments are appreciated.

GlennW

1) I'd clean & wet the old ballast. A solution of Wet Water will do. Let this dry.
Wet Water is a drop of dish soap in a bottle of water. some guys also add a bit of alcohol.

2) Elmer's normal White glue will be fine. You may want to put down a layer og glue to be sure the old ballast is set fine, then add small amounts of new ballast to make sure it bonds together.

3) Chances are you may not find the exact same shade of ballast. THat is cool to help give the layout some "age".

Franz T

You may want to dilute the Elmers 50/50 with water. I also add a few drops of alcohol to the glue/water mixture.
Never really cared for dish soap, so I wet my water with 93% alcohol as well

Your mileage may vary.....

Franz T

Cascade Northern

I have heared about diluting Elmers before.  Is there a reason like the glue "eating" away the roadbed, or is it looks?

But, thank you to both of you!

Franz T

The glue is just easier to apply when you dilute it. Basically, here is how I ballast my track: After I spread and groom the ballast (I used Woodland Scenics), I take a spray bottle (those empty manual hairspray bottles you can find at Wal-Mart for 97cents are perfect) filled with water and a bit of alcohol and wet the ballast THOROUGHLY. I start spraying from a good distance to avoid disturbing the ballast and as it gets wet, I approach closer with my spray bottle. Next I have an empty 8 oz Elmers Glue bottle (I like the tip for dispensing the solution) which I fill about half full with water - precise measurement is absolutely NOT critical here!! - add a bit of alcohol (93% iso is perfect) and fill to the top with white glue. Shake well and go to town.
I start by flowing the glue LIBERALLY  between the rails -to the top of the rails is fine. and then soak the sides. The trick is to use as much as possible. It will all soak into the ballast, trust me.
BTW, I use TiteBond White Glue, wich run me about 10 bucks a gallon at my local Lowes. Between gluing down roadbed, track, ballast and scenery, I have gone thru 3 gallons so far..

brokemoto

I spread a couple of lines of glue, first, then spray the water.  Finally, I shake the ballast and allow to dry.  I have always been satisfied with the results.

You can use almost anything to spray.  I bought the Woodland Scenics Spray Bottle, because we did not have anything in the apartment at the time (I lived in an apartment, back then).  I also bought the Woodland Scenics Ballast Shaker.  You can buy it empty or with ballst in it.  I chose the latter.

Do remember to track erase thoroughly after the ballast/glue/water dries as some of the stuff will get onto the tops of the rails.  Also, be sure that no loose ballast gets into the moving parts of the turnouts.