News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP50

Started by nscaler711, September 09, 2007, 07:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nscaler711

People you have to get one of these!
i got one today and it runs so beautifuly for a standard line i am not even joking!!, a bit noisey but a bit of lube in the motor will shut her up!!!

It maybe a UP ( UP never owned any but i dont care!! ) but it runs awesomely!!
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

nscaler711

ok but i will tell you this. after using some lube it is now 20% quieter even at high speeds!!
At 35 smph you cant hear much a lil bit of groaning but not much, that and i ran her all night long and so she is a good runner
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard

Inder

That's good to know.
I ordered one a few days ago and I'm waiting for it.

Hunt

Quote from: nscaler711 on September 09, 2007, 07:51:50 PM

Check UP GP50s at http://utahrails.net/up/up-wwd.php

conradin

i got one today and it runs so beautifuly for a standard line i am not even joking!!, a bit noisey but a bit of lube in the motor will shut her up!!!

Exactly *where* around the motor should I lube?  I have a BN.

fieromike

Quote from: conradin on September 11, 2007, 02:13:06 AM

Exactly *where* around the motor should I lube?  I have a BN.

First, go to your local hobby shop and buy a bottle of PLASTIC COMPATIBLE oil.  Anything else will have the potential to ruin your loco.

Second, disassemble your loco far enough to see the shaft(s) where they enter the motor.

Third, apply ONE SMALL drop of oil on the shaft where it enters the motor.  The oil will travel down the shaft and lube the shaft bushings.  Too much oil can ruin the motor by softening the brushes or gumming up the commutator; ONE DROP ONLY!

Fourth, reassemble and enjoy!

Mike

nscaler711

Mike you beat me to it!
And the UP didnt have any Hi hood GP50's
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard

fieromike

Quote from: nscaler711 on September 12, 2007, 06:19:44 PM
Mike you beat me to it!
And the UP didnt have any Hi hood GP50's
Aww, man!  Do you have any idea how many bubbles you've just burst?

Mike

nscaler711

sorry.
but you could repaint the units
to a diff RR
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard

fieromike

Quote from: nscaler711 on September 13, 2007, 07:07:49 PM
sorry.
but you could repaint the units
to a diff RR
N&W comes to mind.  A friend calls the color "13 dip black".

Mike

Inder

I just got mine in the mail today.

It ran very slow at first but after a few minutes it began to speed up.
Overall it runs smooth and quiet but it's a bit on the slow side.

David Leonard

Fieromike, your friend's description ("13 dip black") reminded me of the origins of similar descriptions. Back in the 70's the magazine Extra 2200 South coined the term "13D" to characterize plain dark paint schemes like the NW used. "13D" referred to a string of adjectives ("dark," "depressing," "dreary," "dismal," etc.)  I don't remember all 13 words, but they all started with the letter "d," hence "13D." IIRC the term "dip job" came later and applied to any one-color-with-no-decoration paint scheme.

nscaler711

well i need a replacement motor, I guess 14 volts is way too much power  ;)
stupid DCC....lol
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard

kevin2083

14 volts shouldn't be too much power. I have a MRC Tech 4-something, and it puts out up to 23 volts yet i haven't  burnt out any motors. Did you leave it sitting too long without moving it? That'll do in some motors.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

taz-of-boyds

I don't know, maybe some people are just paranoid, but I have seen lots of warning about N scale motors are 12 volts and that's it.  At least one thing, if it will survive higher voltages that is not so bad, but keeping the voltage 12v or less might prolong motor life?

Anyway, it you time your loco's and keep the speed in the 20 to 40 to 80 mph range (not the markings on the controller, you need to actually time the loco over measured track and convert to miles per hour) you may never get over 12 volts.  One of the guys somewhere wrote if you can see it moving it is going to fast (joking a little about prototype speeds).  The thought of an 1870's 4-4-0 going 140 mph should be scary!

I measure the output of my controller now and then and keep the voltage 12v or less to the track (varies by locomotive and load etc.).

Amazing how slow some real trains go,
Charles