News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

cab/backhead details

Started by ASIANLIFE, September 11, 2007, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASIANLIFE

I want to add more details to the cabs and backheads of my locomotives, but need more information.

I have Googled images and the best I can find are of Cass No 5. However, I do not know how representative it is for different loco types. As I am not modelling a specific prototype I guess I have some flexibility.

Grandt lines produce backhead details for the Porter, but I am also interested in the Shay, Climax, and Mogul.

Is there a reference source including the various functions of pipes, levers etc ?

Dusten Barefoot

What scale are you looking for? I think you are looking for On30. Well, I use low voltage wire to detail my engine. A little flat black paint, some clippers and some glue, and you just might be pleased with it. I have a mogul, and I cut some wire to form all of the tubing and mess for the cab, now about the gauges and stuff, I just make due with what I have, I'll take something round and looks like a gauge and paint it up, to where it looks like the pressure, brake, or speed gauge.

Just some of my advice
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten Barefoot
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

RAM

You're invited to view these photos online at KODAK EASYSHARE Gallery!
Just click on View Photos to get started.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=122ykqsk.bl1ncnts&x=0&h=1&y=-i7e9zv
There a picture of 844 cab and well as ATSF 3768.  However a lot of things have been removed from the 3768. (i hope to keep people from stealing them.)

ebtnut

The amount of "stuff" in the cab is generally related to the age of the loco.  Older locos that did not have a lot of added appliances were fairly simple--throttle, reverse lever, brake stand, lubricator, injector controls, water glass, gauges.  A big modern engine like 844 would likely have addititonal equipment for feed water heater, stoker, mechanical lubricators, fire door opener, and the like.  A Shay like No. 5 would fall into the "simple" category.  If can locate one, look in an old Locomotive Cyclopedia for detailed info on locos and applicances.