News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Parts Question

Started by davevid, September 12, 2007, 07:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davevid

I bought a Bachmann Spectrum "Russian Decapod" 2-10-0 Item # 81707
Susquehana Steam engine.  The Train did not say DCC ready, however it took a DH163IP decoder and programmed just fine.  Only problem is that I can't replace the Coal Tender housing, it's cealing is too low.  Is ther a DCC ready coal tender housing I can buy?  Where would I buy one if available?  Thanks.   

Jake

You should be able to fit a decoder just fine in there. Where is it located? Moving it to a different location may provide enough clearence.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

davevid

Thanks for the reply Jake.  My guess is you are right if I had bought a Bachmann Decoder.  It looks like the Bachmann Decoders have a 6 pin connector, a wiring harness and then the PC board.  This would make moving it easier within the coal tender.  The Digitrax decoder has the PC board installed on the PC board so you connect directly to the top of the connector.  I was able to unscrew the plastic coal top from the tender, hobby-knife out the inside cealing, glue the coal back in and now the decoder fits fine.  Looks good too, no cosmetic damage. 

Woody Elmore

You can always fabricate your own coal load. People did it for years with brass engines - they'd use balsa wood, shape it and add HO coal. It's easy to do and it helps individualize each locomotive.