News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum Southern 2-8-0

Started by restorer, October 22, 2013, 02:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorer

A local dealer has an unopened spectrum Southern 2-8-0 (non DCC). It 's close to the  the same price as the standard line (with DCC) on the internet.  I can install the DCC on the spectrum.  Any thoughts on the best choice.   The Dcc would run about $30.00 plus.  Thanks

Doneldon

fixer-

I believe the non-Spectrum Connies are the old Spectrum Connies now being sold as standard line models. (Be sure to check model numbers to ensure the Connie you're looking at are the current ones, not the older gray box Connies.) If you do have a recent loco, by all means purchase it. If it is an older model, however, it isn't as good a buy. It will have less detail and, as I understand it, a less robust drive line than a Spectrum or new standard Connie. I would prefer to spend a little more money on a Spectrum Connie with DCC added than buy an older Connie with DCC on board. But let me caution you: That's just an opinion and it may or may not apply to you. Further, other responders will also have opinions, maybe even more opinions than responders(!), but the final decision is yours alone.

-- D

jonathan

Restorer,

Doneldon offers good advice.  My own experience is this:

I have six Connies, ranging from the original Spectrum with brass bell and white plugs, all the way to the current Standard version.  When running on the layout, I cannot tell the difference in any of them.  They all run very, very well.  They all match each other in speed and pulling power.  The newest versions have 3-pole motors, vice the five-pole.  Again, I cannot tell the difference when operating.  

That said, I do prefer the packaging in the older models.  I'm not a big fan of the clear plastic molded around the model. That's a personal choice.

The 2-8-0s are my go-to locomotives.  Whichever one you choose, you will like it.  If you've never had a Connie before, please ask questions if you have trouble getting it to operate smoothly at first.  As with ALL new models, there are certain tweaks required.  We can help you with that.  Happy shopping!

Regards,

Jonathan

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I myself have 2 Bachmann 2-8-0's. One Spectrum line and one Standard line. The Standard line version is nice but So were the Spectrum ones so I wouldn't pass up a chance to by a Spectrum one if I saw it in a hobby shop.

Searsport

Talking about the Baldwin 2-8-0, originally Spectrum, now demoted to Standard line, if relevant to you one factor to watch for is that in the earlier ones those sold without sound had a solid tender floor, whilst those sold with sound had a perforated tender floor with mouldings to site the speaker.  To see what I mean, see the parts diagrams on this website.  I believe that on the more recent production even those sold without sound have the sound-ready tender floor.  It is easy to tell, just look at the underside of the tender and look for the circle of holes. 

I have several Western Maryland Connies from the different production runs, and apart form the tender floor differences I have mentioned they are indistinguishable in terms of detail, performance, or quality of manufacture.  Highly recommended.

Bill.