Hey Mr B, how about a Vanderbilt tender and some new regions for the 4-6-0?

Started by Searsport, October 24, 2013, 10:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

I assume the Baldwin 4-6-0 will be re-released at some point in the next couple of years? 

May I suggest that you include a high boiler coupled to your medium Vanderbilt tender?  They look rather good together, and the combination is prototypical on RRs such as the Southern Pacific (see these photos of T31 class Baldwins:
#2353 in preserved condition, http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Southern_Pacific_Lines_4-6-0_No._2353.JPG,
#2354, operational in 1952, http://espee.railfan.net/nonindex/steam-01/2354_sp-steam-t31-byron_bostwick.jpg, and
#2356, also operational in the 1950s,   http://espee.railfan.net/nonindex/steam-01/2356_sp-steam-t31-gene_deimling.jpg).

This would also allow you the opportunity of fitting sound into the Medium Vanderbilt, which I think many of us would appreciate!

The SP engines were oil burners, but I expect that there were coal burners too on other RRs.

May I also suggest some different road names and regions? 

There were both high and low boiler Baldwin 4-6-0s on the SAL, including many inherited from absorbed lines, and these could partner your SAL Baldwin and Richmond 4-4-0s. 

How about a high-boiler 4-6-0 for the Western Maryland to partner your 2-8-0 and Decapod?

How about New England?  For example the BAR operated 4-6-0s into the early 1950s, including #66, which was an ALCo but looks very like your Baldwin high-boiler and had a tender very similar to that with your ALCo 2-6-0.

And how about the mid-west, south-west, Gulf coast and RRs operating across the Rockies or Appalachians, in the sort of landscapes modellers like to model? (I know you did produce a low-boiler for the Union Pacific, but that has been your only western livery).

Just some thoughts,
Regards,
Bill.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

If Bachmann came out with out the 4-6-0 again, I wouldn't mind seeing an ALCo one or two from the Northern Pacific. For example, N.P. ALCo Class S-10 4-6-0 #328 with a high boiler but 57" drivers. Or if another Baldwin version is made, I wouldn't mind seeing one with Baker running gear like Nevada Northern #40. Or one that looks like the Duluth, Mesabi & Northern F2/F3 class ten-wheelers built by Baldwin.

Doneldon

261-

I tend to agree with you that a 10-wheeler with Baker gear would be a neat addition to Bachmann's fleet. And doing so shouldn't pose a financially insurmountable obstacle. Actually, I'd be happy with almost anything with different mechanics just because the variety is interesting.
                                                                                                                                                                                   -- D

gmhtrains

Bachmann used to offer separate sale Vanderbilt tenders in both oil and coal versions. I am looking for an oil version right now for use behind the 2-8-0. Road name is unimportant as it will be lettered for a fictional logging railroad. Does Bachmann have ANY separate sale tenders available at this time?

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: gmhtrains on October 25, 2013, 05:23:38 PM
Bachmann used to offer separate sale Vanderbilt tenders in both oil and coal versions. I am looking for an oil version right now for use behind the 2-8-0. Road name is unimportant as it will be lettered for a fictional logging railroad. Does Bachmann have ANY separate sale tenders available at this time?

Unfortunately not unless you just so happen to find one somewhere on the internet or in your local hobby shop. A place I would recommend looking is trainworldonline.com since (as of the last time I looked) they had a Bachmann Spectrum medium Vandy Tender in B&O for about $10 before shipping.

NevinW

As someone who models the Nevada mining railroads who were using the 1905 Baldwin 4-6-0 with Vanderbilt tenders I would love to see another high boiler version that could easily mate with their Vanderbilt tender.  I have done the conversion and it isn't that easy especially with a sound decoder in it.  I would love it if Bachmann came out with a SP version!