Reverse on Peter Witt Trolley (O Gauge)

Started by ruhappy, October 25, 2013, 06:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruhappy

My daughter purchased a Peter Witt Trolley last year, but there was no instruction sheet in the box. I would like to be able to make the car reverse when it comes to the end of the line. Is there any way I can accomplish this?

The trolley is O gauge.

Thanks

GG1onFordsDTandI

Detectors, and blocks can be set up to do it. Top manufacturers offer different solutions. I think you should check those as well as this one out too. Parts might be available separate? http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=879_755_789_790&products_id=5213

phillyreading

You can go with an electronic relay or you may have it reverse manually if the reverse unit has a neutral position. Either way you will need to use some insulating track pins, pull the center pin out and replace it with an insulated pin two track sections before the end of the track, as you need to slow down the trolley. You must have the power shut off for two to three seconds fro the WBB trolley to go through reverse.

I don't have the Peter Witt trolley in O gauge. Have other trolleys and they have F N & R with the reverse unit, so an electronic relay won't help me.

Lee F.

phillyreading

Quote from: GG1onFordsDTandI on October 27, 2013, 04:25:28 AM
Detectors, and blocks can be set up to do it. Top manufacturers offer different solutions. I think you should check those as well as this one out too. Parts might be available separate? http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=879_755_789_790&products_id=5213

BTW, your trolley set is an H.O. version with DC motors. For H.O. it is easy to do a reverse using electronics, but in O gauge things can get expensive and complicated to do an electronic reversing.
The O gauge Peter Witt trolley is an AC version with a three position reverse unit, forward, neutral, reverse.

Lee F.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: phillyreading on October 27, 2013, 03:58:34 PM

BTW, your trolley set is an H.O. version with DC motors. For H.O. it is easy to do a reverse using electronics, but in O gauge things can get expensive and complicated to do an electronic reversing.
The O gauge Peter Witt trolley is an AC version with a three position reverse unit, forward, neutral, reverse.
Lee F.
Good call Lee, my mistake. Searched for an O product, missed the n30. I thought they made one here in O too. You could look into Lionel #153ir. Its an infrared system. Dalee Electronics makes something for this, and JC Studios probably has a bunch of different plans you can follow if your hands on.

phillyreading

WBB makes a Peter Witt trolley, not sure that they make one in a set. That would be nice to make a PW trolley in a set in O gauge.

Personally, I am not after electronics to reverse a trolley but some others might be.
It's just with F N & R it will take a bit of doing to cycle correctly.
I am not saying that it can't be done, but I am not aware of what it would take to do it with electronic relays or whatever.
You would have to inter-rupt power twice to change direction because of the neutral feature with WBB trolley.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

I would think that prototypical reversing operation would be forward only through a reverse loop.

In 3 rail operation, you would have a spring loaded (or non-derailing) turnout with no reverser needed.

Navigates O- 21 curves.  (D-21  E-Z street ?)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

If you are talking about the Y turnout that I think Joe Satnik is mentioning, you will have to buy it in K-Line Super Streets, because to the best of my knowledge WBB don't produce anything other then straights and curves and a cross-over for E Z Streets.
Maybe Bachmann have something to be announced soon, like in January, for E Z Streets.

Also I do not have the WBB trolley, so I don't know if it has bump and go feature like the older Lionel trolleys from the post war time had.

I am not trying to burst any bubbles here, just trying to give some information about either E Z Streets or Super Streets and the Peter Witt trolley.

Maybe Bachmann or 3Rail will chime in and give us any information that is not covered.

Lee F.

r0gruth

I agree with Joe.The Peter Witt street car was probably seldom,if ever,run in reverse.
Some other types of street cars had reversible seats and the controls were moved
from one end to the other,the trolley pole on one end was lowered and the other
one raised.The Witt car was,I think,single ended.
Roger

Joe Satnik

Another possibility is a dog bone (oval flattened in the middle) that does not use turnouts. 

You could get even fancier with isolated rails and track power circuitry to keep two of the trollies separated on the same dog bone or oval.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Is it possible to lock the Peter Witt trolley in the forward position?

Some of the older Williams could be locked into position with a switch underneath the frame. Don't know if the new P.W. trolley has that or not.
I have only bought some newer freight cars from WBB, no engines.

Lee F.