News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question about powerpack

Started by lupos, November 04, 2013, 11:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lupos

Hi all. Wondering if I can make use of the expertise here.

I picked up a g gauge set recently but it is missing the power pack.  I see some on eBay for ho or n gauge. Will those work or is it very specific?  Also would there be another place to find the right parts?  I don't see them at the Bachmann site.

JerryB

Power packs intended for N-scale or H0-scale are usually rated for 1 amp or less at a maximum of 12 volts. The ones from sets are even less powerful. Not enough power for a large scale railroad.

For large scale you need a power pack that will give you at least 3 to 4 amps at voltages in the 14 to 20 range. Even the power packs that originally came with the set you have are very limited and frequently trip their internal circuit breaker. Once the breaker is tripped a few times, it will tend to trip at lower and lower currents. Again, not a satisfactory situation.

Best to find an after market power pack that is designed for large scale trains. More amperage and voltage is better and will provide you with a long-term power solution that will serve you as your railroad acquires more motive power (engines).

Find an issue of Garden Railways and / or do a web search for large scale websites. The folks there will be able to recommend suitable power supplies.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

smcgill

I think I heard some were that ho and n scale power packs were ac were as g Scale was dc.
Can some one confirm this.

jbrock27

HO and N are typically DC to run the rails, with AC connections on the power pack as well that can be used  to run turnout switch machines and other AC run accessories.
Keep Calm and Carry On

phillyreading

You need a good size DC powerpack for the G gauge trains. H.O. are the correct DC power but don't have enough watts to power the G gauge engine.
MRC or Model Rectifier Corp makes some good DC powerpacks for G gauge.

Buying a powerpack or transformer large enough for a G gauge train will eat you up for shipping on ebay. I deal with a different auction site but still have to pay shipping and other fees.

Buy a new or used powerpack from your local hobby shop or at a train show. You won't be socked for shipping & handling and insurance for shipping an item.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear lupos,

Do you still have the set box with the original styrofoam  insert?

Do you wish to have an exact replacement power pack to fit in the insert?

There are 2 to choose from, depending on what year your set was made. 

Early sets:  Bachmann Item number 44209, but the case is marked with 6609, so you will see them for sale or auctioned as "6609".

Late sets:  Bachmann Item number 44213, which includes a controller head marked 44213, plus a "wall-wart" adapter marked AC1601000.

The 6609's are pretty solidly built.  Hope that's the one that fits your insert. 

You should be able to find either at a substantial discount (un-boxed) at train shows or auction sites.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

lupos

thanks for all the responses, everybody. I will definitely look for one specifically for g gauge