Ceiling train kit from Ceilingtrainkit.com

Started by semper_fi, October 22, 2013, 10:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semper_fi

I mentioned this in another topic, but I don't want to hijack that topic, so I'd like to ask if anyone has used this company and if they are satisfied with the experience. It certainly looks to me as if this is a neat way to get my layout up and running with no mistakes.  Anyone?

SF

Ceilingtrainkit.com

semper_fi

Am I looking at something that no one else has bought? Is /are there alternatives to this company? I'm really very new to this and hate to spend a lot of money on something untried and find out that it doesn't work well. Especially if my expensive train takes a nose dive from @ 8' up.

SF

Loco Bill Canelos

It is possible that none of those viewing even use around the cieling track!  It is a very small part of the hobby.   A check of Garden Railways Magazine will have other brands you may wish to look at.

This link may lead to some reviews of the product: (no guarantee)

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=review+ceiling+train+kit
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

armorsmith

Semper,

There are several different manufacturers of elevated track support systems available, as Bill recommends, check GR magazine.

I too and considering one for running on rainy days and when the grandchildren are visiting.  Allen 'Mik' Bupp, may he rest in peace, did his elevated using the 'closet maid' style shelving.  I have seen several variations on both the ladder system and plain boards on shelf supports as well.  My approach will be a mixture of methods depending on where in the room the track is headed.

Good luck in your pursuit of an elevated solution that will suit your needs, and above all , your wallet.  Some of the commercial ones can be pricey.

Bob C.

veetwelve

While certainly not as aesthetic as the Ceilingtrainkit hardware, one other solution I have seen used for ceiling-suspended trackage is cable trays.  These are the modular "trays" that route electrical, computer, and communication cables through a building, typically seen only in the basement or spaceframe of a commercial structure.  One advantage is that your trackage is visible from below; another is that you don't need an extra "guard rail" to keep your trains from falling in the event of a derailment.  It's available in a variety of widths, making it easy to run parallel tracks, either in the same gauge or another gauge.  You can see an example of cable trays at this website:

http://www.chatsworth.com/ontrac-wire-mesh-cable-tray/

No affiliation, yada, yada, yada.
Jay

GG1onFordsDTandI

No experience with those, just my two cents on what I see, having done an elevated in Og.
Before starting, check your ceiling, from on top a ladder. Look for "waves" and also for "water level". Not all ceilings are smooth and level as you would think. I think wall mounts achieve level easier, if the ceiling isn't level and smooth.
The installation instructions OKs the use of a nail gun at one point, so the mfg must have some confidence in it. Looks somewhat strong, looks are great too. Visible ties 8)! ). I think the weak point would be the frames are assembled with staples, not my favorite form of assembling wood, unless there is some glue, or very careful placement involved. Maybe buy a sample or two from them?
 I also used wire shelving at one point, and it was so-so. Ties and wires didn't always line up, so the track rose and fell, and a short across the rails was inevitable. I had to run a hardboard roadbed on the wire frame, losing the "open" look. Guardrails are nice though. I would think the "brace cables" in that CeilingTrainKit would provide a lot of "catch" too.
Good luck on your project decision :-\.

smcgill

I took the time and looked @ the web site for :Ceilingtrainkit.com
It looks like a well made product. The instructions for installation seemed with in the grasp of most people. If you do decide to get one and install it  WE WANT PICS!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck!

P.S. At one point in time I had a wall mount ( 8" from ceiling, riding on the top of door frames) system for a Lionel line. It took some time and came out nice. It was nice to just go into the room and just turn it on and let it run , no prep etc.