News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound for rail bus

Started by 2foot6, October 26, 2013, 10:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2foot6

Just wondering if any one has installed a sound decoder into  the Bachmann rail bus,and if so ,what brand  and model number to give the appropriate sound for the rail bus?  I am also wanting to install sound in the Devonport gas loco,what decoder is required for it?cheers Peter

Biglars

I have seen a few modelers use the Soundtraxx Micro-Tsunami 827010 TSU-750 RGS Galloping Goose but all of them had issues with the decoder over heating. The issue was solved by adding a brass heat sink to the decoder on top and opening the roof of the rail bus and adding a vent for air escape. 

2foot6

Thank you for your input Biglars,I will chase up the decoder and see how it goes .

KenHecker

2foot6,

Please post any notes (and maybe photos) on installing the Micro-Tsunami 827010 on the rail bus.  I just ordered one, and have been studying the schematics I can get.  There are four false vents glued on the top of the rail bus roof.  You could probably remove a couple of those and replace them with functioning versions.  There is a grill towards the back of the power unit in the ceiling (most likely for the speaker, but there are places you could drill into the ceiling to give ventilation.

Charles Moll

I'm trying to find an article written for a magazine about this Bachmann ON30 Rail Bus. Can't remember month, year or which publication. I think it is about installing a sound decoder. I'm trying to help a friend. He has a decoder installed, but his gets hot and quits running.

Charles Moll

Thanks for the link, very good info!

richg

I have used the 750 in HO. Pretty good decoder. Only one install did I have an issue with over heating.
Cut a piece of brass or aluminium to the size of the decoder. A thin layer of heat sink paste from Radio Shack between the bottom of the decoder and heat sink. Use thin tape to secure both parts together.
The bottom of the decoder is very obvious.
The light logging 750 works very nice in a MDC Climax with new motor and gears.

Rich