News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 suggestion for Bachmann

Started by Kernow, October 27, 2013, 07:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

My comment was about the present and not the future.

Who knows about the future and what might ignite On30 fever again?

I was always disappointed that Bachmann didn't do this to the Bachmann Mogul:

I wouldn't take much tooling changes.

If they would have built the small Forney:

That is the present Forney against a 1/37 plan of the small Forney making HO track two foot.  In 1/48" a Forney that size would get around an 18" radius hauling cars.

So many "what-ifs" and kits are still dead :o

Harold

Catt

If you think On30 is dead or dieing I suggest you visit the On30 forum on Railroad line forums.I think you will be surprized at just how active this scale really is. ;D

hminky

Quote from: Catt on October 30, 2013, 06:48:12 AM
If you think On30 is dead or dieing I suggest you visit the On30 forum on Railroad line forums.I think you will be surprized at just how active this scale really is. ;D
Why does everyone use the terms "dead" and "dying"?

Presently it is plateaued from a very high bubble.

Harold

Royce Wilson

Harold,I think it is due to the economy and not lack of intrest in O narrow gauge. :o

Royce Wilson :D

Skarloey Railway

That we've lost a number of posts referencing a new rtr loco being released in ON30 is a little weird in the context of a discussion on the health and future of ON30.

Bucksco

Please refrain from posting links to other manufacturers website advertising - thank you. This thread started out with a product suggestion which is fine. A lengthy discussion of opinions about whether On30 is going to survive into the future seems to have taken over. This is fine but be assured that it will be monitored  ;)

Skarloey Railway

From what I recall no one had posted a link. Someone said a new loco was being made in Taiwan. I Googled, found out what it was and said (as it's a frequently requested loco) that lots of people would be very happy. Someone then posted a picture of it.

At no point, when I last saw the posts, had anyone even mentioned the manufacturer's name, let alone posted a link to them.

So, to reiterate, how can we discuss the future of ON30 without referring to other manufacturers?

JerryB

Skarloey Railway:

A link to the Australian model company, and their product, including pricing was posted, then (properly) deleted by Bachmann's website administrator. You probably missed it as it didn't last very long.

And before anyone starts complaining about censorship, I would point out that you are all free to start your own website and post links to any manufacturer you want. Bachmann Trains, our host here, has always made it clear that they do not want links or information concerning competitors posted on their boards. That works for me!

Happy (Respectful) RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Hamish K

I think I was the first to mention the new loco - and my post is still there. I deliberately refrained from mentioning the maker or the prototype as the rules for this forum specifically forbid posting other makers product announcements, and I didn't want to break them. Bachmann own the site and Bachmann set the rules. The point was that On30 is still getting some rtr support from makers other than Bachmann.

Hamish

Chatham

Jumping back in once more.

I must have been out sick that day and missed the removed posts and that's probably all for the best. I think the original poster who started this (Kernow) was more or less correct and asked a fair question and made some very good points.

Hamish also was right on the mark as well with his first post and Harold gave us something to think about.

The only constants in the On30 field is the 2-6-0 which hasn't changed in all these years and is still the best bang for the buck to start out with . The Porters are something else again. They have become  ...well I don't quite know what they have become but I know I can't afford them any longer. I say that because I cannot for the life on me find any without sound which is what places them out of my reach pricewise. I did locate one out in one of our western states that was ordered with sound but what came in was DCC only and so I jumped on that like a sailor on shore leave! 

What I feel we do need is another entry level loco to rekindle the fire and bring more people back to, or newly into the On30 hobby, niche though it may be.

The 2-6-0 was a stroke of educated luck and maybe, just maybe, lightning will strike the same place twice? 

I'm finished and I now return you to your original programming. Thanks for the input everyone.

Chatham

Bucksco

Quote from: Skarloey Railway on October 30, 2013, 09:09:30 PM
From what I recall no one had posted a link. Someone said a new loco was being made in Taiwan. I Googled, found out what it was and said (as it's a frequently requested loco) that lots of people would be very happy. Someone then posted a picture of it.

At no point, when I last saw the posts, had anyone even mentioned the manufacturer's name, let alone posted a link to them.

So, to reiterate, how can we discuss the future of ON30 without referring to other manufacturers?

Actually a discussion of the future of On30 might be better served on a "Non-manufacturer" type of forum. There is obviously a bias on this forum on the part of the forum administrators - with good reason - it's the Bachmann forum!
The purpose of the online forums is first and foremost for the discussion of BACHMANN products - not for discussion of the supposition that one of Bachmann's product lines is doomed to expire. A thread that goes down a road like this is destined to shed a negative light in one way or another on our product line and that is unacceptable. Sorry if this offends anyone but the discussion would be better served on a public forum where the folks who run the forum have no vested interest.