News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Program Track Booster

Started by Mark FL, October 29, 2013, 05:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark FL

Does Bachmann offer a Program Track booster?  If not can someone recommend one?

RAM

I don't know much about DCC, but I don't know why you have a need for a program track booster.  You would only have one locomotive on the program track.

richg

Quote from: Mark FL on October 29, 2013, 05:09:57 PM
Does Bachmann offer a Program Track booster?  If not can someone recommend one?

Why do you think you need a booster for only the program track? You should try to include more info in a question.

Rich

Mark FL

I have installed a sound traxx in my GP 40 engine. It will not program on the program track ( due to the low voltage)and was told by Sound traxx that i should get a track booster for my program track so i could set the new CV's. ( My engine will start up and i can hear the air brakes. But I cannot make it do anything else).

Joe Satnik

1 K Ohm resistor needed between the programming track rails?

Others with more knowledge, please chime in.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

richg

Quote from: Joe Satnik on October 30, 2013, 09:52:02 AM

1 K Ohm resistor needed between the programming track rails?

Others with more knowledge, please chime in.

Joe Satnik

The Bach-Man has said the same before. A 1k resistor attached to two clip leads. I have seen the same solution in other DCC forums.

Rich

bapguy

What DCC system are you using? Soundtraxx sells a PTB-100 that hooks up between the command station and program track.  Joe

Len

Quote from: bapguy on October 30, 2013, 10:21:56 AM
What DCC system are you using? Soundtraxx sells a PTB-100 that hooks up between the command station and program track.  Joe

The system shouldn't matter much, the PTB-100 can be used with just about any system out there. And it's almost a necessity for locos with more than one sound decoder installed, e.g., Athearn DD40AX. The 1K resistor trick doesn't work for two sound decoders being programmed at the same time.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Mark FL

Thanks for the comments. I use a MRC Prodgity advance2. I was told by Sound Traxx tech help that i needed a booster. I can try to put the restor between the rails but do not understand what exactly that will do.

bapguy

I think it matters what system you have as I have a Digitrax and don't use the PTB-100 or resister across the rails. Digitrax has 3 programming options. Try programming on the main. The resister shows the command station there is a load on the programming track.  Joe

richg

The below fellow use to own a on line DCC company until he retired. He has worked very closely with SoundTraxx for some time. In case the 1k resistor solution does not work for you. All looking here, store the link in your browser.
Take a lot of time looking though his site. He has a lot of good DCC info.

http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/ptb.htm

Rich

Mark FL

Thanks Rich. The web site you provided is very informative