News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Battery powered 2 truck shay

Started by tsbikes, October 29, 2013, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsbikes

I would like to wire my 2 truck shay for power using an 18 volt battery. I would also like to be able to switch it to track power with a dpdt switch. So far all my efforts have produced nothing but "magic smoke". Any suggestions?

Tony Walsham

If it is an early Shay version there are internal motor block connections from the track to the motor that need to be rewired.  There is no quick and easy solution short of getting into the truck to do this.
You will need to re-route all the track pick ups to one side of a DPDT switch.  The battery powered ESC output wires go to the other side of the switch.  The centre terminals of the switch go back to the loco wiring.
It is much much simpler to forget about about track power, disconnect the track pick ups by removing the ball bearing pick ups and wire the ESC output to what were the wires from the track pick ups.  That can be done without too much trouble.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

dgtrrco

Hi I might be able to help you. If i can find my wiring diagrams I have rewired the 2 truck shay for track or battery powerng using a dpdt mini switch. Its quite extensive wirng as you have to disconnect and run a new set of wires from the circut board under the fire box to the switch. It can be done but a little nerve racking to say the least. Mine works great I used 2  9volt rc car batt packs. fitting them in the small tender back is the worst with a decoder in there also. I have an AIRWIRE DECODER IN MINE. If you send me your email add and if I can find my wiring diagram ill be glad to share it with you: dgtrrco@comcast.net.Hope you have a lot of patence your going to need it when you start taking the shay apart. GENE
GOOD LUCK!!!

tsbikes

Thanks for the replies!
I would be very interested in a wiring diagram. Please send it to tsbikes@gwtc.net

Thanks again,

Jim Grimes