News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C&S 2-6-0 to 2-8-0!

Started by ksivils, October 30, 2013, 09:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksivils

Hminky,

That is a really nice 2-8-0! And being a fan of the C&S B-4D class I am curious how you did the conversion and what chasis you used for the conversion.

Thank you for sharing the photo.

hminky

It is rather simple, cut the gear tower off the Bachmann  Mogul frame and mount it on an HO frame. That is a Bowser Pennsy Decapod. The problem are now drivers. Bowser has a few available. A Mantua Mikado would also work. The Mogul cylinders fit the HO frame.

When I presented the idea back in 1999 no one was interested. By the time I had my website in 2004 the idea again had no interest so I never wrote an article. Probably because it requires metal work.

The hybrid runs as well as the Mogul.

Scalelink has self quartering 18mm drivers that would work:

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Locomotive_Driving_Wheels_.html

Those are 15mm.

Harold

ksivils

Hminky,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I take it the finished locomotive used the Bowser 2-10-0 chassis with either the last, or first, set of drivers removed?

Also, am I correct you used drivers other than the ones that came with the 2-10-0 chassis?

I am willing to bet if you wrote up an article and submitted it to the On30 Annual it would get published. Several locomotive kitbashing articles have appeared in the On30 Annual.

hminky

I used the Decapod frame, drivers, side and connecting rods because I had a Bowser kit.

All but the drivers are available from Bowser.

The connecting rod is attached to the Mogul crossheads.

The cylinder location on the HO frames line up the On30 cylinder location.

The Mogul pilot deck fits on the front of the HO frame.

I prefer to post on the web, hate the way magazine editors tear up articles in their edit. Magazine guys want a lot of useless chatter to fill out the articles rather than just the facts, mam.

Harold

hminky

Also mocked it up as a 4-4-0:

Needs siderods made but uses the Mogul drivers.

Harold

lvrr325

The 2-6-0 shell will just about drop right on a Bachmann Russian 2-10-0 frame, also, you have to grind the upper portion a tad at the rear.  You could delete the last pair of drivers easily enough and have a 2-8-0, albeit with fairly small drivers.  It should run just as well as it did out of the box and with the bonus of being DCC.

ksivils

I wonder if anyone has tried the Bachmann 2-8-0 chassis? It is still in production and might be easier to obtain than the 2-10-0.

lvrr325

I only figured it out with a $10 2-10-0 basket case (dropped on the floor maybe) from one show which when I attempted to repair ended up out next to a 2-6-0 basket case (taken apart when someone started to kitbash a 2-6-6-2 that I presume was abandoned when Bachmann released one RTR).   

But the 2-10-0 is all over eBay for reasonable prices, you can't hardly give away a non-sound one. 

hminky

Renovating the 55n3 website found this:

That is the Bachmann HO 2-8-0 mech, On30 Mogul boiler and tender.

The man and car are Scale55 as is the plan of a SP narrow gauge consolidation.

Harold

Royce Wilson

Harold,how well does the 2-8-0 running gear mate to the Bachmann mogul boiler?

Royce ;D

hminky

Just put things side by side and took the picture.

Never checked because the drivers are too big and the counterweights are wrong for my taste.

Someone did the conversion way back when.

Harold

Royce Wilson

I was just wondering if the mogul boiler would fit on the 2-8-0 frame without alot of modification,it is kind of hard to make that judgement from the photo and most of us don't live near a lhs,any help will be appreciated. :D

Royce :)

lvrr325

By coincidence I picked up a Bachmann 2-8-0 cheap yesterday so I tried this swap.

The weght on the 2-8-0 chassis is a tad too wide to fit inside the 2-6-0 boiler.  I may give it a few passes on the bench grinder to see if I can slim it down to fit.  Length is okay, some work is needed at the rear as well.  I think once done it will look better than the 2-10-0 because the drivers are larger. 

Ken Clark

I picked up a Bachmann 2-8-0 this morning  for the conversion, took about 15 minutes to mount
          2-6-0 body onto 2-8-0 chassis.
\
     shoehorned 2-8-0 weight into 2-6-0 boiler.
     Cut 1/4+ inches off rear of weight.
      Cut support off front of 2-6-0  (steam chest)
     Reassembled 
     Will need wider Pilot deck and rewire for DCC tender

Looks all right next to my OF 2-8-0s

Ken Clark
         GWN