News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 DCC PCB

Started by Narrowgauge12, November 04, 2013, 08:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narrowgauge12

Hello, I had a question about Bachmann 2-8-0s that are from a newer run say 2012 +. I want to take the Soundtraxx decoder out and install a TCS WOWsound decoder in it. But the only problem i see with it is they don't have LED resistors made into them (well most dont). So my question is, do bachmann 2-8-0s in general have a resistor made into the tender DCC PCB?
Thanks to anyone that can answer my question, Thanks!

richg

Quote from: Narrowgauge12 on November 04, 2013, 08:47:52 PM
Hello, I had a question about Bachmann 2-8-0s that are from a newer run say 2012 +. I want to take the Soundtraxx decoder out and install a TCS WOWsound decoder in it. But the only problem i see with it is they don't have LED resistors made into them (well most dont). So my question is, do bachmann 2-8-0s in general have a resistor made into the tender DCC PCB?
Thanks to anyone that can answer my question, Thanks!

Yes they do. Look at the PC board. You will see the resistors. At least my 4-6-0 with on board sound has a PC board and a decoder board that plugs into the PC board for lights. The resistors are on the PC board. Cut the caps on the PC board. The two inductors are not an issue when the caps are removed. The labels are very clear for the components.

Rich

Narrowgauge12

Thanks rich! Yea, I looked and it has the resistor on it.

richg

Now the rub is, how bright is the headlight? Are you satisfied with the brightness? Some Bachmann steamers have a dim headlight. Some Bachmann steamers use a higher than normal resistance and some use a light pipe with the LED down inside the smokebox. From what I see in the diagram, the LED is right inside the headlight.

Not sure of your experience, you can solder an eight pin plug to the wires of the decoder or pull the connector out of the 9 pin socket and plug in an eight pin to nine pin adapter.
Many are concerned with cutting back the shrink on the decoder. SoundTraxx permits this. Look at the below link under, Curriculum and SoundTraxx Tsunami.
If you have not looked at his site, take your time. Bruce has owned Litchfield Station, a DCC company and works closely with SoundTraxx.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Rich