News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 slipping on piers

Started by On30 man, November 05, 2013, 12:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On30 man

My On30 train set won't make it up the pier set that I have.  It goes part way up and then set there and spins. It is the factory pier set that I'm using.... Any suggestions.    Track and trains are new and cleaned....

Dusten Barefoot

How steep is the grade, and how many/heavy is the cars you're pulling
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

2foot6

Try moving the piers further apart,so the grade is not so steep,and /or try taking some wagons off the train ,so the load is lighter.Keep in mind that small engines are for smaller loads and larger engines are for bigger loads,but if the track is too steep everything will struggle to go up.cheers Peter

scottychaos

There are two things you can do to fix the problem:

1. make the grade less steep.
and/or
2. shorter train.

Scot

NarrowMinded

Add some weight to your locomotive

Nm-Jeff

On30 man

Thank you all for your responses... Will try to change grade....It might be tough because of space, but will give it a try.. Also how would you stiffen up the track if I space out the piers.........
I'm not running any more cars than what came with the set... It's the Santa Express..... Would you consider  that a small engine
Thanks again Rick

NarrowMinded

That engine definitely needs a little extra weight.

Nm-Jeff

On30 man

How would you suggest that I add some weight and how much..... Thanks for helping a new but now dedicated On30 train guy..

NarrowMinded

I smash slingshot for fishing and glue it in spaces inside the loco, you can also get stick on weights and cut them to fit under the running boards where it's hard to see.

A great place to add some forward weight is in the smokestack, I would start there.

Nm-Jeff

On30 man

Kevin Strong

I've had luck mixing small bird shot with Bondo. This gives the lead the consistency of paste, and you can dollop  it where you need it. I do large scale, but it should work for On30. Just use the smallest shot you can get.

Later,

K

GG1onFordsDTandI

Weight = traction! When adding weight, evening the load front to rear can be an issue too. Avoid doing wheelies, or nose diving :D. Too much weight up high can be bad too, making it roll in the turns, but we do what we must. Attempting to keep the center of gravity low, is always a good idea.