News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

contollers

Started by tammi-1949, November 05, 2013, 09:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tammi-1949

have all lighting on seperate power pack        it is ok than to run 2 power packs for track?

tammi-1949

mrc tech2      1400, 1500, even seen 2800?

tammi-1949

i have volt meter    fluke for high end stuff   

Doneldon

Quote from: tammi-1949 on November 08, 2013, 02:41:20 PM
it is ok than to run 2 power packs for track?

tammi-

No, not at the same time. It is possible to connect several packs to the same track in order to run multiple trains simultaneously but only one power pack at a time is ever in actual contact with the rails. Doing this with two packs would require a DPDT switch which disconnects one pack as the other is connected. For more than two cabs, rotary switches are used which also guarantee that only one of the packs is ever connected to a given section of track (aka block) at a time.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

GG1onFordsDTandI

Relays could also be configured to do the block electrical switching automatically. But unless you have real use for a blocked layout, it would be easier to go with a larger power supply.
Understand when I mention additional power feed I'm talking additional bus wire, not power pacs. If you are not familiar with "layout bus wiring" you now have some mild research reading to do. Check star-bus wiring too.
Get a volt and amp reading with everything on the track and running. The amps draw is the key to seeing if you need a larger power supply, but voltage drop is significant too. Amps are read by routing one feed wire through the meter (one wire to one lead "in", one lead out to the track.

tammi-1949

got it       getting on it

jbrock27

T49, all of those power supplies you mentioned have enough "juice" to run 2 trains at once on the same track that the power pack is hooked up to.  They are also, all power packs with good reputations.  However, what will eventually happen, is the locos will catch up to each other when running 2 locos on the same track, off the same power pack.

So, as my pals have suggested here, it would be worth it to you to do some research on "block wiring" and "common rail" wiring, this way you can utilize 2 power sources to run trains separately at 2 different locations, using more than 1 pack to do so.  This information is very easy to find, using GOOGLE, as your friend.

PS-I luv your choice of multi meter! :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

tammi-1949

thanx again    on it       p.s. 13.23 va

Doneldon

tammi-

Something else to consider is DCC. Yes, it's more expensive for a power supply and you need decoders in every loco, but it's much simpler to wire and, especially, operate. On small, block-wired layouts especially, you can be a switch flipping demon as your trains move from one short block to the next. DCC will avoid that. The idea of DCC may be intimidating but just remember, most of us are just average and if we can handle DCC, so can you.
                                                                                                                                                              -- D

jward

one clarification needs to be made.

bus wiring is used for dcc, not dc.

with dc block control, you'd have various sections of track isolated from each other, each section is controlled by a separate switch which connects is to one or more controllers. only one controller is ever used on a particular section of track at any given time, the switches let you select which controller is connected to which track.

all dc layout which have more than one locomotive should use block control, whether or not you only have one controller.
after all, you do want to park that second locomotive somewhere while the first one runs, and vice versa.

atlas makes a device called a selector, which will allow you to connect 4 different track sections (blocks) to either of two controllers. it can also be used with a single controller as well, with the ability to add a second controller when you get one by simply hooking the controller to the b terminal of the selector, and the common return of the track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: jward on November 09, 2013, 10:34:31 AM
one clarification needs to be made.

bus wiring is used for dcc, not dc.

I have to disagree with this clarification. I even double checked myself by looking it up.

Bus wiring is the use of heavy wire, plate, bar stock, etc., to deliver heavy current to smaller feeder wiring, this applies to ac and dc both.

Serial Bus is a communication protocol used in communication between electrical devices. (includes the USB on your computer [universal serial bus])

jward

if all of your track wiring is routed through the block switches, where would you use bus wiring? each block has its own feeder.

have you ever used block control on a layout?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: jward on November 09, 2013, 12:21:30 PM
if all of your track wiring is routed through the block switches, where would you use bus wiring? each block has its own feeder.

have you ever used block control on a layout?
Yes, and anti collision relays for a common main line to two loops too. :-*

Normally you are spot on, I saw what I felt was a mistake, and am not trying to rub your nose in it, just clarifying ???.   I did not assume he was going the block route. And I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but maybe you are trying to convey that the term bus wiring is not normally used referring to a dc block wiring situation? I agree. But the bus, even on a block layout, would be a common feed, before the diverging feeds going to each individual block switch or section. The term "bus" means "all" in latin, greek, or something.
Corrections welcome.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: tammi-1949 on November 08, 2013, 05:27:18 PM
thanx again    on it       p.s. 13.23 va

13.23dcv(volts) on the track, at the slow point with everything on and running under load near the volt reading spot? Not too bad. (take readings no load and you can figure the "voltage drop", another useful electrical reading)
If that's an amp reading, something is wrong, or you have huge draw, or short. Ive seen tinsel scraps do similar too.
If they are faster when close to the feed, and slowest further away, try to add feeder wires to the other side too. Its the cheapest of all options presented, and may fit the bill. Also use the Fluke, on Ohms, to check for resistance in your rails, and circuits leading to them(lower is better). If we seem over your head, "windy", or too simple, a little hint as to the extent of your electrical knowledge, and may shorten some responses by folk too. I say this because you hold the tool of a pro, a Fluke.  A meter tutorial if you need one-  http://youtu.be/bF3OyQ3HwfU
You have cleaned the track, lubed the gears, checked brushes, and checked the axles for hairs etc. right?

tammi-1949

ohms i understand well ,along with draw and current  got tech II 1400 ON WAY
thanx on it and waiting on new power pack