Bachmann blinking light bridge question.

Started by raptor106, November 09, 2013, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raptor106

hi I have question about Bachmann blinking light bridge can it work for dcc layouts I have dynamis system and so far it doesn't work. now it hasn't shorten out anything and trains run fine over bridge but light doesn't turn on. maybe I got bad bridge.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Might be just be bad. Does this have a bulb, or L.E.D.? A bulb can be tested with an ohm meter by disconnecting and checking for continuity. If the bulb was rated 12v it may have burnt out from higher dcc voltage. An un-rectified LED exposed to ac or reverse dc polarity will also fail. Hopes this helps a bit.

Stephen D. Richards

From past experience....blinky light bridge bad on DCC!   :o ::) 

GG1onFordsDTandI

Does it burn them out, or do they fail to work?

Stephen D. Richards

It burns them out after a short while.  The blinking light is designed for 12v DC current and the AC type from DCC makes it burn really bright for a short time and it won't blink.  What I did was cut the leads on one of the bridges and the other I put in a LED light with a resister in line.  Didn't blink rigged that way but was what I had on hand.  Hope that helps.  Stephen

raptor106

ah ok, it has a bulb and how it connected is copper metal thin Peace that connect to rails under bridge. 

GG1onFordsDTandI

OK.. likely its burnt out. If you replace it with an LED follow Stephens advice. Also, self regulated, blinking LEDs can be found, I think Radio shack has some, but Im not sure if they are self rectifying too. If you chose a grain of wheat bulb chose a higher voltage than 12v or 14v. 18v up to about 24v and/or add a resistor. If it has to blink for you to be happy, do some research at JC Studios site. It would likely yield an option, or three.(lots of LED circuit info too)

richg

A 1k resistor will work fine for an LED on DCC. Nothing else needed. The NCE Power Cab uses a 3mm red LED in the power panel where the cab plugs in. No protective diode.with 1k resistor The voltage is usually about 13.6 VAC. I do this on a couple sidings to monitor when the siding is getting DCC.
Many do this with LED's.

Rich