New HO Gauge steam loco model to consider

Started by BLWDecapods, November 12, 2013, 03:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLWDecapods

Last time I checked Hallmark or Empire-Midland mfgd a Baldwin Light Decapod was in the 1980's.
Seems that Strasburg # 90 is the very last operational BLW 2-10-0. However, Alabama, Tenn. & Northern, the Seaboard Air Line, the Osage RR, Woodford Iron, the Georgia, Florida & Alabama operated them when new. Most were owned by the Seaboard in late years because of mergers and buyouts.
The Gainesville Midland operated the last BLW version in regular freight service in June 1959 and in excursion service in Sept. 1959.

Bachmann's Spectrum Russian Decapod was a fine model to bring out in HO. Why not bring the Baldwin Light Decapod out to compliment the Russian ??

Thanks,
GM Decapods

RAM

I think the honor of the last 2-10-0 in service would go to Great Western # 90 which was in service in 1960.  The ATSF had 5 nice 2-10-0s  That were in service into the 1950s.  The 3 Russians 2-10-0s lasted less than a year.

ebtnut

Not to get too picky, but the term "in service" may need a caveat.  No. 90 is still in service on the Strasburg, who got the engine from the GW while it was still in operating condition.  The Illinois RR Museum has a Frisco Russian that has also been restored to service. 

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ebtnut on November 13, 2013, 11:43:40 AM
Not to get too picky, but the term "in service" may need a caveat.  No. 90 is still in service on the Strasburg, who got the engine from the GW while it was still in operating condition.  The Illinois RR Museum has a Frisco Russian that has also been restored to service. 

In a scrapbook I still have a clipping from the local Lancaster newspaper from when GW #90 arrived at Strasburg.  ;D

Unfortunately, being a kid at the time, I didn't note the date of the clipping.  :-\

I just know it was in the Sixties because I was a kid in the Sixties.  ;D