News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Needed help!

Started by Broncosfan, November 13, 2013, 01:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG1onFordsDTandI

Have you tried two sections of tube on the ends of a driveshaft as well as solid tube with solid insert to prevent collapse as it twists a bit? Heat can often be used to shrink the ID opening of tubing. Since its so small, maybe heat shrink tube over a solid shaft?

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 14, 2013, 01:59:14 PM
I take it we are talking clear vs black tubing?  Other than black drying out, is there any difference in how each will work?
Black tube is often thicker and less prone to collapse when twisting than the clear fuel lines. But the thickness may be an issue with n-scale. The N stuff is not the easiest to work on due to size.

jbrock27

Ahh, thank you for the response and clarification GG1!

Would really small vacuum tubing for automotive uses work?
How about small diameter Evergreen styrene tubing?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

You either need to start with a larger diameter shaft, then whittle it down to leave a ball on the end. Or, leave the shaft the diameter of the ball end and put a 'V' groove around both ends where it would hit the loco and tender couplings on curves.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 16, 2013, 07:21:36 AM
Ahh, thank you for the response and clarification GG1!
Would really small vacuum tubing for automotive uses work?
How about small diameter Evergreen styrene tubing?
I don't know how well the hard fuel injection vacuum tube would close around a shaft. Used with a "roll pin" to hold it may work, but once again the shaft size may make this implausible.
The black windshield wiper rubber tube is what I saw first, many years ago on Brass Og. Recently saw some HO bashes, and an Og operating semi truck accessary bashed to travel under its own power, these used fuel tubing, one with tiny blue tube for a weed wacker, had a shaft inside it. If it can move the big stuff.........
Lens ideas, the ball I like. Also for small tubing, a short ring of heat shrink tube over the end, can serve as a surprisingly effective hose clamp. The ones on old VW washer buttons held 28psi. 

CNsylvester

Hi I'm new and also seeking assistance.

I have an American HO 4-4-0 and it came with two drives.  I've seen the N gauge Bachmann Store PDF but that didn't help.

The long shaft doesn't work well but before ordering a new one, is there anything else I could check?

(photos are on another website, sorry) http://www.wheelsonsteel.com.au/showthread.php?tid=6705

Doneldon

Syl-

I don't know what you mean by two drives, even though I read the term twice on your two posts.
Please explain what you mean, but only once. It isn't helpful to do multiple posts; all they do is
annoy the people you are asking for help.
                                                                   -- D