News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Needed help!

Started by Broncosfan, November 13, 2013, 01:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broncosfan

I'm new and need some help from others. I have a American Stean Engine n scale that came with a Trim a Tree set. It seems that the drive shaft ( not sure the correct name) that connects the tender with the engine is gone. Does anyone aout there know where I can get one? Bachman said they don't make any parts for it anymore.

richg

Go look in the Parts page. Might be something there.
Take time to look through the Bachmann site. There is an N Scale forum also. Many new people jump right into the General forum.

Rich

GG1onFordsDTandI

The use of rubber tubing as a driveshaft is an old trick used by the brass crowd. I don't know if it will work for that, but its worth a checking into. Lengths can have solid inserts added to make them more ridged.

ebtnut

The default "standard" for rubber tube replacement has been model airplane fuel line.  It is more resistant to drying out, and it comes in several diameters so you can tailor it to your particular drive setup. 

jbrock27

I take it we are talking clear vs black tubing?  Other than black drying out, is there any difference in how each will work?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

You can see a picture of the part at:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_70_79&products_id=217

Click on the picture to enlarge it to actual size.

You can use a piece of sprue from a model kit to make the shaft portion. Then drill small holes through, and glue cross pieces in each end. The holes should be square to the shaft, but don't need to align exactly with each other.

I've done this many times for the HO version of the 4-4-0 tender drive loco.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ChrisS

He said engine to tender.  That would be the drawbar.  And piece of plastic with holes drilled in it will work

James in FL

Hi Broncosfan,

I haven't had mine out for almost a year.
If yours is like the one linked to, then I agree with Les.
I would whittle one down from a piece of sprue.

There have been several revisions to this lokie.
Drive shafts have changed.
If you have an early one ( I think you do), look to the auction sites and purchase a donor lokie.
If yours is like in the link, call Bachmann they may have it, although it says out of stock.
I would not consider fuel line for this one.

Good luck

richg

Quote from: ChrisS on November 14, 2013, 07:48:56 PM
He said engine to tender.  That would be the drawbar.  And piece of plastic with holes drilled in it will work

The HO and N scale 4-4-0 both have a draw bar and drive shaft. More often than not, the drive shaft can fall out when handled by hand. The draw bar has a screw to hold the draw bar in place on the loco and the tender.

RIch

James in FL

Good point Rich if it is in fact the drawbar it's an easier fix.

But we are still guessing... Is it the part that connects through the tender (motor to wormshaft), Or under it, (Tender to lokie)?

Pin on lokie fits into slot on tender, no drawbar so to speak.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/11751.pdf

richg

Quote from: James in FL on November 14, 2013, 08:54:41 PM
Good point Rich if it is in fact the drawbar it's an easier fix.

But we are still guessing... Is it the part that connects through the tender (motor to wormshaft), Or under it, (Tender to lokie)?

Pin on lokie fits into slot on tender, no drawbar so to speak.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/11751.pdf

Yeah, I should have looked at the diagram page first. My bad. Made an assumption.
The N scale does  NOT have a draw bar. From some of the searching, it looks like Bachmann had two different size drive shafts.
The drive shaft comes straight out the front of the tender, just like the HO scale version.

Rich

Broncosfan

Thanks for all of the help! I going to see what I can do to make one. It would be alittle easier if it weren't so small. Thanks again for the help!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Let us know how you do it, what works, and what doesn't work, are both valuable tid bits.
(Curious, It is the driveshaft, not the draw bar correct?)

richg

Quote from: GG1onFordsDTandI on November 15, 2013, 07:33:38 PM
Let us know how you do it, what works, and what doesn't work, are both valuable tid bits.
(Curious, It is the driveshaft, not the draw bar correct?)

Again, go look at the N scale diagram. Very clear.

Rich

Broncosfan

Its the driveshaft. Still working on it. Made two didfferent ones today didn't work. Haven't found the best material yet but still working on it. The ones that I did make weren't small enough to have some flexibility they did turn but one twisted and the other wouldn't stay in place. I have made one for a ho scale years ago but since this one is so small not sure if I will be able to do it. Only time and testing will tell.