bachman spectrum magnum controller

Started by steve phillips, November 13, 2013, 09:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve phillips

first time posting ....I have a bachman spectrum Magnum  controller  that came with a used ho ACELA dcc ready (no decoder) train set . The problem is it only goes one direction, when you move the switch to reverse the engine it doesnt move . i changed engines  still same problem. I changed controllers  both engines work fine. I was going to pull the cover off, but it takes a special tool to remove the screws (which i dont have). could this be a simple fix or better off to buy new one.  Ive never seen the inside of one , so i dont know if there is a board gone bad or wire has come loose . Any ideas or help would be great
thanks
steve  ( new to train world)

jbrock27

2 questions Steve:

1) Bc there is many different "Spectrum" controllers, is this for DC running?
2) How much ($$) do you have invested in this thing?

PS-Wish you were still GM of the METS ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

steve phillips

hey    its running dc only    it came with dcc ready set  used 200.00

GG1onFordsDTandI

Reverse the wire leads, and it should reverse travel. This would indicate the controller switch is no longer inverting the polarity of the power feed to the track. Otherwise it would be a reversing board in the loco.
I think those special screws are a requirement for UL listing if the product plugs into 120v ac wall outlet. If an idjit can figure out how to open it easy, they may figure out a new method of burning down the house. And that would be Bachmanns fault by todays messed up logic. But! With a little researching of the electronic service industry's, tool supply market, it can all be found. (unless proprietary.) Harbor Freight or similar may carry them too. If its a triangle bit, you can grind one down, out of a old screwdriver. Remember you do this all at your own risk ;).

Jhanecker2

To GG1.  there are security adapter bits for 1/4"  hex  screw drivers  sold at various tool suppliers.  John 2 .

jbrock27

Steve, as GG1 pointed out, to take it apart (I have taken the screws out of an MRC power pack in the past) is a proceed at your own risk endeavor.  Be sure to unplug the unit if you decide to go that route.  There are many that would preach against that, I, not being one of them, as long as you a) unplug it to work on it and b) proceed with the understanding that you may make the thing totally inoperable.
What kind of security screws are they?  I have seen 2 kinds.  As GG1 one has suggested, one type can be unscrewed by a modified screwdriver.  For me, I modified and old regular, flat blade screwdriver.  I am not sure which ones that JH2 is thinking of, but if he is thinking of the torx like screws with a center post, I, like him, have seen tools sold for those online at Amazon, for one place you can look. 
Also what is the direction switch like?  Is it slide or push button?  As I pointed out earlier, there are a lot of  Spectrum power pack models.
If you get it open, take as little apart as possible.  You may get lucky and it just be the direction switch, which I believe should be a Double Pole, Double throw switch (DPDT).  It if is a slide type, you may be in luck and be able to replace it with a similar sized one from an electronics store.  Do you have a multi meter that you can use to test resistance at the leads of the switch when put in both positions?
Now, while on the subject of the DPDT, unless someone feels otherwise, I don't see why you could not avoid having to take the thing apart altogether and if everything else is working ok on it, and just buy a DPDT toggle switch (again electronics store) and use this switch to reverse polarity when you want to.  You would wire it between the pack and the track.  Lots of videos on line to show you how to do that, much better than I could ever type/explain it.  If you do that, I would put the existing reverse switch in the postion where it works and then put a piece of electric tape over it so you do not move it and then use the aforementioned DPDT switch to change direction when you want.
Last option, which is why I asked about $$ invested, is to replace it with an MRC power pack (if you only want to run DC).
Hope this provides some help.       
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

My 2001 Bachmann Catalog shows what looks to be item number 44281

as the power pack that comes with the Acela set. 

It is the Spectrum Magnum controller without the Volt and Amp meters.

For examples or pictures, search "Bachmann Magnum" on the auction sites.

(Many up for auction or sale.)

Hope this helps. 

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jbrock27

Recycling pickup a little slow in your neighborhood Joe?
Keep Calm and Carry On

steve phillips

hey guys thanks for the suggestions   i will try them when i get back home tonite  (12 hr work today ) 

thanks
steve

jbrock27

You are more than welcome Steve.

If I may comment on Joe's suggestion; 1) a DPDT switch is about $5.00 at a place like Radio Shack.
Do you know how to solder and/or use wire connectors?
2) If it was me, I would not replace something with the same thing that gave me a problem in the first place.  Not that MRC power packs have never had a direction switch go bad, but their reputations are excellent (I feel like I must have said that at least 4 times this week :D).  Also, there are many more of them out there and more  MRC varieties to chose from compared to ole 44281.  I don't know what the specs are on it (you should have that) but I would know that and compare it to the specs on what I could get for a similar price on an MRC one.   The specs could very well be better on the MRC than another Spectrum.  Again, this advice is with you sticking to DC in mind.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

I can see that Joe must really like the 44281:

Joe Satnik:
HHRR Joe,

If you want an exact replacement, they are on e-bay, and if you google "bachmann 44281" or "bachmann spectrum magnum" you will find dealers that have new old stock.

I have new 44212 power packs for sale from set breakups, or 

I can repair your old power pack.

If interested, contact me off line joebarbATwwtDOTnet   Put "power pack" in subject line.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
Keep Calm and Carry On

3rail

Steve,

If the power pack works otherwise, you can add a polarity switch to the output. You will need a double pole double throw switch (aka DPDT). this link shows how to wire it. http://m.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO%3A-Wire-a-DPDT-rocker-switch-for-reversing-po/

Regards,

3rail

GG1onFordsDTandI

For those searching for bits now, "Anti-tamper" is another keyword to use in searching out tools for disassembly of "protected" enclosures. It is the common industry term for "torx with a post" ie, anti-tamper torx.

jbrock27

I take it then 3rail that you are seconding my DPDT suggestion?  I appreciate the support.
Keep Calm and Carry On

3rail

Yes Jbrock,

Wiring to the output is an easier solution. I just wanted to add an illustrated link.

Regards,

3rail