Purchased Used HO K4 4-6-2 Pacific PRR #3750

Started by Pennsy Harold, November 13, 2013, 09:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pennsy Harold

I purchased a used Spectrum PRR K4 on e-Bay and just received it (its beautiful btw).  The problem is, I can't get it to run on my track.  I'm use Bachmann's EZ-Command, which has been flawless.  The seller said that the short address was 3, but when I tried it, it wouldn't work.  I tried all the other addresses as well and none of them would move the loco.  I was able to run all my other locos with no problem so it isn't my DCC system.  The wiring seems fine, and the connections were snapped tight.

My questions are: 1) Could anyone suggest some things I could do to try to trouble shoot the potential problem? & 2) Since it was purchased used, is the warranty still good?

I contacted the Seller and he said they use NCE equipment and it ran well for them on it.  I can't imagine that a Bachmann loco wouldn't run on a Bachmann system but would on another system (I have 7 other bachmann locos that run on my dcc system without difficulty).

The Loco is Item #84101, but it didn't come with any paperwork inside.  Is there a way that I can download the paperwork for this item?

richg

I am assuming this loco is DCC on board which has the EZ Command decoder. All DCC documents are on the Parts and Service page. Take some time to look though the Bachamnn site. Many seem to miss a lot of good info here.
The loco diagrams are there also.
Did you try a new address change?
Does the headlight come on?
Does the loco run with a DC power pack? The decoders are dual mode if the DC function was not disabled.

Bachmann locos never come with instructions, only a parts diagram. That is why the instructions are on line in the Bachmann site.

Rich

Steve Magee

Take it to a nearby friend/hobby shop/club that has a more complete DCC system than the basic Bachmann one. Ask them to read CV1 to check the address, and check CV29 to see that it is the short address that is enabled. If neither of these conditions are met, ask them to program it with the short address of your choice.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

Pennsy Harold

Thank you both for your replies.  I haven't yet checked it with my DC controller, I have to fish it out.  I did program one of my other Locos to address 3 and I was able to get it to switch to 3 and back.  Taking it to my local hobby shop seems like a great idea.  I'm fairly confident that the loco works, the dealer I bought it from is very reputable.  Thanks again.