News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Is my new set faulty?

Started by dstuttgen, November 14, 2013, 07:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstuttgen

Hi, I am coming back to model railroading after a 40 year hiatis. I purchased a Bachmann Durango and Silverton set in N gauge through Amazon. It came today and I set it up but it does not run. I checked the track connections. The controller light comes on. The locomotive doesn't run. I don't know what else to check and am very disappointed. Should I box it up and send it back?

Dan :(

James in FL

Hi dstuttgen

That set comes with a 0-6-0, not sure if they come with a spectrum tender yet.
There is no head light.
Try this first before sending it back.
Touch a 9v battery to the driver wheels of the lokie left/right.
If the motor runs, the problem is getting power to it.
Turn your pack on about 50% and create a quick short with some extra wire. Sparks?
Let us know what you find.

Good luck

dstuttgen

Quote from: James in FL on November 14, 2013, 08:39:28 PM
Hi dstuttgen

That set comes with a 0-6-0, not sure if they come with a spectrum tender yet.
There is no head light.
Try this first before sending it back.
Touch a 9v battery to the driver wheels of the lokie left/right.
If the motor runs, the problem is getting power to it.
Turn your pack on about 50% and create a quick short with some extra wire. Sparks?
Let us know what you find.

Good luck

Thank you for the reply. It would appear that the Loco is DOA. No action when I touch the battery to ant of the wheel pairs.
Bummer!

Dan

dstuttgen

Is this something I can tweak myself or does it need to be sent back.

Catt

Since you bought through Amazon it must be a new set.In would contact Bachmann first then return the loco for repair or replacement.

James in FL

It's a very simple basic loco design. A good first one to learn on.
If you feel comfortable and confident in your abilities, you have nothing to lose by taking it apart.
You don't need to disassemble the drive linkage so don't, and have a good look as to the driver quartering so you can position it properly on reassembly.

Look here;
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/50551.pdf

If you feel the need, taking pictures every step of disassembly may be useful.

Good luck

dstuttgen

Thank you to everyone who replied, I have packaged up the loco and am sending it to Bachmann for warranty service.

Cheers, Dan  :)

dstuttgen

I am very happy to report  :D that my loco works after all! I had it packaged up to go back to Bachmann but stopped at the hobby store in Green Bay first to purchase a different loco to get me started and the fellow said if you had it here, we could just check this one thing; so I booked out to my car and grabbed the package and we opened it up. He applied power to the trucks and spun the commutator with a small pick and off it went. He said it had probably been sitting a while and the lube grease had gotten stiff.

Cheers, Dan  ;D