HO Electric train set IRON HORSE

Started by doug, September 15, 2007, 03:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

I have an electric tain set called Iron Horse, it came with a steam engine an i was wondering if i could also use a deisel electric locomotive with this set also. It is a HO scale set. Also i was wanting to know if i could chane ourt the G&HO&N power pack that came with this set to the new E-Z DCC comand control system?

SteamGene

The same scale/gauge loco can be used with any cars whose couplers match the locomotive.  Do your cars have horn hook or knuckle couplers?  Of course if you have 30 foot wood cars being pulled by a modern diesel, it might look a bit strange. 
To use DCC you will have to have a decoder in the locomotive.  The EZ-Command system is on the way out, apparently.
What kind of steam locomotive is it?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jake

Yes to all of the above. You will have absolutely no problem using a Diesel with your set. And E-Z command will work with any track system. E-Z Track or other. Though if it is not E-Z track that you are using, you will have to use the wires that do not have the E-Z track connector and solder them to the rails on your track. (A 35 watt pencil tip iron will work just fine for this, be careful of the ties though!) If you have plans to make a larger, permanent layout, may I also suggest that you buy a copy of DCC made easy (you can buy a copy here) as you will out grow the E-Z Command. It is a wonderfully written book, and doesn't make anything overly complicated. (Note that this is coming from a 13 year old!) And on a final note, EZ command is a simple DCC system, it can only change an address of a locomotive to control it, and control the engine's functions. If you want a more advanced system, you may want to go with a different brand, or buy Bachmann's newest system, Dynamis.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Jim Banner

Quote from: Jake on September 15, 2007, 04:30:30 PM
Note that this is coming from a 13 year old!

Jake, your advice is good but remember that a lot of us old duffers have to ask the neighbourhood 13 year old to come over and stop our VCR's from continuously flashing 12:00.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

doug

In reply as to what kind of steam engine i'm using, its a slope tender with smoke...union pacific #4432.

SteamGene

IOWS, a USRA 0-6-0 switcher.  If it's one of the new ones, it's a fairly good locomtive.  Don't use the smoke, especially if you want to use DCC.  If it's one of the old ones, replace it with something, even a diesel.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

doug

Well thats what i'm trying to decide, which one to replace the steam engine with ..i have one of the old ones an it broke down...so i was going to replace it. An why shouldnt i use the smoke, just wondering cause i did use it on the old one.

Jake

Because, the smoke is just evaporated mineral oil, and what comes up, must come down. The oil will condense all over the track, (and scenery, if you have any) make it look ugly, and make electrical pickup poor. Not to mention, the smoke unit often melts the stack to a point where it looks like it has scoliosis.
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

SteamGene

I looked on the products and could not find "Iron Horse," so I assume you have an older set.  IF you are the original purchaser, you might consider sending in the locomotive for a replacement. The new USRA 0-6-0 is DCC ready, if not with DCC, and I can tell you how to get an operating front coupler - maybe.
Jake - did you get any of the additional layout pictures?   I HOPE the high steel curved viaduct will be up by Thursday.  That will leave Basic City, South River Yard, and Leesboro to finish the mainline.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

doug

Yes it is an older set i have had it for ten years or longer, an i would like information on how to get  a repalcement  if possible.

SteamGene

Go to the top of your screen - very top - scroll up - and click on where it says Service/Parts.  Most people find that calling on your own dime is the best way to get help.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jake

Quote from: SteamGene on September 15, 2007, 07:56:45 PM
I looked on the products and could not find "Iron Horse," so I assume you have an older set.  IF you are the original purchaser, you might consider sending in the locomotive for a replacement. The new USRA 0-6-0 is DCC ready, if not with DCC, and I can tell you how to get an operating front coupler - maybe.
Jake - did you get any of the additional layout pictures?   I HOPE the high steel curved viaduct will be up by Thursday.  That will leave Basic City, South River Yard, and Leesboro to finish the mainline.
Gene

No, I have not gotten anything. I sent you an E-mail yesterday, have you gotten it?
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

SteamGene

Jake:
Nope.  OTOH, I have not checked my spam file.  It may be ther.  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jake

Guite a possibility. Either way, could you please send the pics again? I have not gotten anything from you, not in my inbox, or in my bulk (spam) folder.  :-\
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

SteamGene

Let me see if I still have your e-mail addy.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat