News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ping pong table

Started by show33, November 16, 2013, 07:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

show33

Considering building a train table to lay on top of the ping pong table in my basement. 9 x 5 would be a good size for me to start with, just concerned about the weight.

It's a cheap folding ping pong table, wondering if would take the weight of a plywood train table on top without compromising either the ping pong or train tables.

Anyone tried this?

Jerrys HO

Many have, as long as you don't plan on walking on it.
The other problem would be scenery and the ability to get to the center.
Most use like 2x2's for legs. I use 2x4's as they are easily found around construction sites. If you ask the carpenters to save the drops most will do it.

Jerry

Morgun 30

Just how much weight do you think it would be? How thick is the plywood. Some may suggest using a foam insulation board instead of plywood. And I would think you could put a 2 X 4 support under the table.

show33

Thanks guys...the table is a $100 WalMart special that's not too strong...but using supports would work...don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks

GG1onFordsDTandI

One of my first layouts as a kid could cover a ping pong, or pool table, and be removed to play.
Estimate the weight and use something equal to test the table for the "wobbles" and sagging.
Others suspend it from the ceiling and lower it to the table for use.