News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachman acela powered loco

Started by steve phillips, November 15, 2013, 10:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve phillips

PLEASE HELP
I was running my ho dcc ready acela  train on dc  everything was fine. I removed the shell to see what type of dcc decoder i needed  there was a (cap,plug) whatever on the socket i removed the plug  found out it is an 8 pin  i put the plug back in the socket  I put shell back on ......... NOTHING WORKS..... NO LIGHTS  NO HUM  NOTHING. what did i mess up? If you crank the throttle wide open  and set the wheels down on the track all kinds of sparks  like a short ..... not like regular sparks when you set it down normaly with power applied .  Its not the controller or track  other locos run fine
HELP!!    i just spent over 200.00 on this  I like it but doggone  someone please tell me what i did wrong
thanks
steve

Doneldon

Steve-

Make sure that one of the trucks didn't get rotated 180o. That will cause a dead
short like you are describing. Let us know if that sets things right. We'll try to
help some more if it doesn't.
                                               -- D

steve phillips

hey thanks    i try that right now

that didnt work    there is not enough play in the trucks to rotate all the way around   they only move about  3/4  to an inch around   

Joe Satnik

Steve,

Well, the only thing you did was remove the DCC dummy plug

and then plug it back in.

Possible problems:

Not plugged in all the way.

Plug pins bent or broken.

Plug reversed. (Spun 180 degrees.) 

Plug shifted one pin away from correct original position. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

steve phillips

hey mr joe ,   thanks i will try that when i get back home tonite  ( work 12 hrs today)

will it work without the plug in place ?   whats the chances of blowing up something if the plug was put in backwards ?   i dont have a clue which way it was    i assume it fits both ways   because it went right back in no problem 
thanks for your help
steve

Joe Satnik

Steve,

The loco will not work without the dummy plug in place.

A backwards dummy plug disconnects the headlights,

but should otherwise cause no harm.

My guess on the dummy plug connections:

Those with more knowledge, corrections, please. 

1  8
2  7
3  6
4  5

1,8 and 7 connected. (+)

4,5 and 6 connected. (-)

2 unconnected.

3 unconnected.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

steve phillips

hey mr joe,  i played around with the dummy plug   cant get lights  to come on   no noise    if you turn speed controller almost wide open   you get a lot of sparks at the wheels   almost like it has a short   no sparks on lower speed settings  if i put a decoder in it like it is   you think that may clear up problems ? i have another bachman dcc engine   i was thinking about using that decoder  just to see what happens.  what you think ?

steve

Joe Satnik

Dear Steve,

It's possible, but I would not risk it, as you could end up frying your decoder chip.   

I would want to get it running analog-DC with a dummy plug first. 

Inspect your dummy plug with a magnifying glass for breaks between the pins and whatever jumpers or copper foils connect the pins together. 

Do you have, or have access to, a  VOM (Volt-Ohm meter), or a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter)?

Every hobbyist should have one.   

You can get a DMM for a pretty reasonable price at Harbor Freight, especially when on sale or with a discount coupon.

It would make troubleshooting much easier. 

In the mean time, are there drive shafts coming off the ends of the motor? 

If so, can they (and the motor) be spun around with your fingertips?

(Looking for sticky motor, gears or axles from hair, dirt, lint, or dried out lube.) 

All the wheels should turn, but at a slower (geared down) pace than the motor/drive shafts.

Let us know what you find. 

Joe Satnik   

steve phillips

i havent tried that yet ,, i do know the wheels are REALLY HARD  to turn by hand and when they do  only turns  1/8 inch or so  not much at all,,   good info on not using another chip, I didnt know since i removed the dummy plug would it have to be reprogramed

thanks
steve

Stephen D. Richards

Due to the gearing in the trucks, you won't be able to turn them that way.  Try taking the shell off again and turn the flywheels or drive shaft.  If they won't turn easily then your trucks are binding for some reason.  Hope that helps,  Stephen

steve phillips

HEY FELLOWS !!!!!!    IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!  I took it all apart..... again   I pulled the drive shafts from the wheels , motor turned fine  connected drive shafts back wheels and motor turns fine  made sure no wires were crimped,, removed dummy plug inspected ok reversed it  put it back  I saw nothing wrong  burnt or broken,,,,,  me and the LORD had a little talk  and i plugged that bad boy  up to the power  and wa la    she took off  running like a brand new one  . I worked on this thing about a week before i joined the forum  I want to thank all you guys out there in train land  that helped and gave me suggestions .  BUT I KNOW WHO FIXED MY TRAIN
thanks again for your help ,,  im new to this stuff  but if i can help anyone  i will put my 2 cents in

steve
kinston NC