Train "on" but won't move-help?

Started by Dauxy, November 30, 2013, 09:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dauxy

Help?!   I just pulled out my Bachman EZ train from storage for my grandson since he has discovered and loves trains.  The engine goes on but will not move on the track (lights on)..  Almost burning out in one spot.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

richg

This does not tell us much. DC or DCC?
Which scale?
Bachmann power pack?
Does the motor hum?
Lights on tells us power is getting to the track.
You might have to remove the loco shell and see if you can turn a drive shaft some.

Rich

MarkInLA

IF engine is DCC not analog DC, go to 'select loco' and try Address 3, enter 3 (factory default address for engines not yet programmed with a new address such as #2406, say. Or conflict with engine analog and throttle digital/vise versa. A digital engine CAN run on an old analog power pack if engine is programmed for 'analog mode'. But an analog engine (old DC current) will not run on a digital throttle.

jward

what do you mean by "burning out?"

is one set of wheels turning but the other not? can you turn any of them by hand? how old is the locomotive?

I am going to assume your set runs on dc. those designed for dcc (digital control) are clearly marked as such.

first thing to determine is what exactly you have is it a steam locomotive with side rods? or a diesel with two sets of driving wheels (trucks?)  if it is diesel, does one of the trucks try to pull the locomotive but the other seem stuck?

the answers to these questions can point us in the right direction to solve your problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA