News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

williams NW 2

Started by ajminco, November 19, 2013, 02:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajminco

I have williams NW 2 the bell works fine, but no HORN,can sombody tell me how the horn works.?

r0gruth

I'm not sure about Williams and have never had this problem.
I have heard that sometimes if you switch the power wires to the
track this will make a difference.
Do your other locos work OK?If so,this will probably not help.
Roger

Joe Satnik

Dear AJ,

Your transformer needs to have 2 sound buttons, one for horn/whistle, the other for bell. 

One button adds +DC to the output, the other -DC to the output. 

If your transformer only has one sound button, you can only access one of the sounds at a time. 

To access the other sound (using a transformer with only one sound button),

you could install a DPDT switch (wired for polarity reversal) between the transformer and track.

Terminals on back of DPDT switch:

1 6
2 5
3 4

Transformer output 1 to switch terminals 1 and 4

Transformer output 2 to switch terminals 3 and 6

switch terminal 2 to track center rail

switch terminal 5 to track outside rails

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Joe Satnik on November 20, 2013, 01:07:20 AM
Dear AJ,

Your transformer needs to have 2 sound buttons, one for horn/whistle, the other for bell. 

One button adds +DC to the output, the other -DC to the output. 

If your transformer only has one sound button, you can only access one of the sounds at a time. 

To access the other sound (using a transformer with only one sound button),

you could install a DPDT switch (wired for polarity reversal) between the transformer and track.

Terminals on back of DPDT switch:

1 6
2 5
3 4

Transformer output 1 to switch terminals 1 and 4

Transformer output 2 to switch terminals 3 and 6

switch terminal 2 to track center rail

switch terminal 5 to track outside rails

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
This works to give you a choice between the two.
But if your slow on the toggle while running, you may reverse the engine, or put it in neutral. Some locos are more sensitive than others to power interruptions. Bell buttons can be bought. Or built, easily with just a few diodes, and a temporary on/off switch. A bell button can "eat" up to 7v, if you have a weak transformer, Joes idea may be a better way to try it.
But one is made like this http://www.jcstudiosinc.com/BlogShowThread?id=412

3rail

Dear ajminco,

The first production run of NW-2s were equipped with True Blast I and they only had a bell.  If you have the original box, the label should indicate with Digital Bell, or with Digital Horn & Bell if it is the newer version (True Blast II).  Another way to tell is if the bell rings for 8-10 seconds and then stops, then you have the original version.

Regards,

3rail

Joe Satnik

Hmm,

Bell only (instead of horn or whistle only) for TBI.  You learn something new every day.

Joe 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

3rail

Joe,

We were originally going to make an electronic version of the 622/6220 bell ringer. Then we got the single sound board design from OTT machine services and it sounded better than what we were working on, so we decided to use it.  It was an extremely tight fit, but we made it work.

Regards,

3rail

Joe Satnik

Dear 3rail,

Thanks for the Williams history lesson.  You are a valued resource. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: 3rail on November 20, 2013, 10:35:00 PM
Joe,

We were originally going to make an electronic version of the 622/6220 bell ringer. Then we got the single sound board design from OTT machine services and it sounded better than what we were working on, so we decided to use it.  It was an extremely tight fit, but we made it work.

Regards,

3rail
What no mechanical bell? ::) :P Good placement of sound really. Ive heard the bells way more often than horns seeing switchers run ;) I think some quite time laws exist here now, I don't even think they use the horns at night anymore, Ive only noticed bells still, at night. 622/6220? Cool, but more annoying than a hotbox car! Even when I was a kid. :o. Electronic bells aren't as "harsh", as the old mechanicals, and can often have their volume adjusted to suit tastes 8).
Im more likely to run an E-bell loud than chuff sounds (I like steam best too!) :D
Well ajminco, which do you have?

wmwalker

3rail
Thanks for the update on TBI I did not know that about the horn. Thanks again.
Thanks
Wyatt