News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Consolidation "sound ready?"

Started by oljonb, November 19, 2013, 02:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oljonb

Is the On30 Consolidation set up for the 8 pin Tsunami Plug & Play sound board?

richg

I just looked at the Bachmann diagram page and I see the eight pin socket.
Take time to look thought the diagrams. Most of the time, you can see how the present locos come.

Rich

railtwister

There is more to a locomotive being "sound ready" than it simply having an eight pin DCC socket on board. Otherwise, every loco labeled "DCC Ready" would also be "Sound Ready". In the past, some companies have claimed their locos to be "DCC Ready" even when there is no built-in DCC socket, citing that a decoder may be hard wired into the loco. Using this logic, every locomotive ever made is "Sound Ready".

To me, in order for a loco to be sound ready, it should have a DCC socket, PLUS provisions for the circuit board and loudspeaker(s) that will create the sound (an example of this would be the Bachmann On30 Outside Frame 2-8-0).

The terms "DCC Ready" and "Sound Ready" both imply that the loco is "Plug and Play" as well, otherwise, the terms are both confusing and meaningless.

Bill in FtL  

richg

Again, for Bachmann locos, look at the diagram page.
Some a socket, a few, no socket and you solder the decoder wires to the PC board. My HO DCC 44 ton was like that.
Cut the capacitors on the PC board. They are labeled with, C1, C2, etc
Some have the capacitors on the motor leads like my HO 70 ton with DCC on board.
A couple Bachmann steamers hide the capacitors, and inductors in the loco.

Rich