News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Troubleshooting

Started by serchoo, November 23, 2013, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

serchoo

I have an On30 train I picked up for a Christmas village last year.  After hooking it up this year it won't run.  The light on the power pack is red when it's all connected.  The light on the train does not light up.  I changed the layout to see if maybe if it was a connection issue and it doesn't seem to be.  I don't get any dc current off of the track when I touch both sides with a multimeter.  I'm not well versed at all in troubleshooting these issues.  Is there any kind of step by step troubleshooting guide somewhere or can someone guide me with some ideas for what I should do to try to fix the issue?

2foot6

Hi Serchoo,try disconnecting the power  unit from the track and check the voltage coming from the power supply , if there is no variable voltage when you adjust the speed setting the problem is in the power supply, if there is voltage then the problem is in the track .I'm not familiar with your controller,but on many controllers a red light indicates a short circuit,so as before,disconnect the track and see if the light goes off . cheers Peter

richg

With noting on thr track and the power pack disconnected, set the multimeter to the resistance position,
R 1 scale. Touch both probes to each rail. A shore will show very low resistance usually about zero ohms. Maybe a couple ohms if a lot of track.

Rich

serchoo

Thanks guys it was the power pack itself I went to the local train/hobby store and got an old one that looks like it will last forever.