CODE '2' decoder trouble warning !

Started by MarkInLA, November 14, 2013, 09:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

Hi, my HO 2-6-0/sound somehow got messed up. After several refresh attempts (CV 30 to 2 value and 8 to 8, power off/on ) It either has sound but no light, or light with no sound and whistle blows and headlight flashes 2 times repeatedly while rolling. Do I absolutely have to ship it in to Bachmann repair to correct this what Tsunami manual 'trouble-shooting' states to be a 'code 2' software problem and must go back ? Or, is there a programing maneuver I can perform at home ?
Much thanks,
Mark Harris

bapguy

On resetting the decoder you do either CV30=2 or CV8=8 not both. Try a reset using service mode. Make sure the loco jumps a little when entering the CV value as this shows the decoder took the command. Turn off power, wait 10 seconds or so and repower the track. Wait 6 seconds or so to see if the headlight flashes before trying to run the loco.  Joe

MarkInLA

Joe, though anyone's response is meant well and is appreciated, you have merely repeated what I just said above that I did. I did the CV 8-8 and/or CV 30-2, power off/ then on several times. My question was : Since this doesn't clear problem, must a CODE 2, trouble alert (whistle blows/light blinks 2 times, over and over) mean it absolutely needs to get sent to Bachmann for repair as Tsunami manual states it does ? Might it be a matter of going into the binary code of a CV or CVs to correct problem ? Loco behaves fine if I leave it as address '3' (after refresh). But, when I change its address back to cab no. 1908 the 'code 2' begins ....

Jerrys HO

Mark

I remembered seeing this post a while back. Scroll to wayover50's last post.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,23818.0.html

Hope this helps

Jerry

GG1onFordsDTandI

My dcc cv knowledge is weak at best. That said, have you tried a low number address other than 3?. I think #1908 is considered a "high number address", and cannot be used in some instances, but Im not sure if this applies to controls, decoders, or both, but it fits into the digital control world somewhere. :-\

bapguys comment wasn't just a total repeat of information, but a clarification, specifying "not both". That said, this is asked, Does that mean "not changed at the same time" or "one or the other" due to function change of cv value?

Len

Did you configure CV29 to allow 3 or 4 digit addresses?

The default value for CV29 is normally 6, for two digit addressing.

Normally, CV29 is changed to a value of 38 to enable extended (3 or 4 digit) addressing mode.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

MarkInLA

Gents, I have owned this 2-6-0 ( a replacement by Bach of another, a poor runner ) for maybe 1.5 years now. She always was fine with long address 1908 (on cab side). I have had her at '6' and '39' on table 29. Whichever one it was supposed to be at, it was and was fine all this time. Something has made her cease running unless she is address 3 now. If I reprogram to 1908 she won't move. I have done both refreshes 8-8, 30-2 separately, not at same time. The '2' trouble code is apparently a software problem Tsunami says must go back to manufacturer. My question is: (since it's software) might there be a way to correct a say, binary code somewhere myself ? Or, is something fried in a chip, maybe ?

MarkInLA

(Addendum to above) I just now found "wayover 50"s post on same problem. He said he had to put CV 29 to 38 plus 25 to 2 , and something with CVs 3&4. Though I think I already had her at CV 29 =38, I'll try it again later (not at home now ) and report back...

bapguy

If the loco works fine on address 3 try changing the address to 10. If that works, change it to the  cab # and see if that works. Tsunamis can some times have a problem going from the default address to a 4 digit address. CV3 and CV4 are acceleration and deceleration. What system are you using? Go to Tony's  Train Exchange and look at the table they have for CV29.  Hope this helps.  Joe

MarkInLA

Everyone (above), I'm perplexed ! After a few days of engine insisting on remaining 38 in CV 29, table A (Analog "yes") it now is back to normal and is on 50 again, not 38 ! This little guy is more user friendly than the 2-8-0 I have which is the most difficult engine to sync the chuffs to..Even if you get it ok for solo running , chuffs go way off again when pulling cars ..I must have an accumulated 20 hours dick docking with her over this. She runs really smooth but the chuff situation is really annoying ! I hear it's going to be sold as non-Spectrum and cheaper. Maybe this is why !
Thanks for all responses,
Mark Harris