Bachmann HO RS3 DCC with Value sound.

Started by LVRR, November 15, 2013, 07:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LVRR

Hello: While adjusting the sound on the RS3 I must have messed up , the engine operates backwards now. It always used to run in the selected position.

The Bachmann CV sheet and the loco instructions do not include any reference to changing the direction of travel. I use a Digitrax Zypher and mostly Digitrax decoders and changing the direction is a snap with them. I'm sure the problem is "user" error so any help would be welcome. Thanks

Steve

rogertra

Quote from: LVRR on November 15, 2013, 07:22:03 PM
Hello: While adjusting the sound on the RS3 I must have messed up , the engine operates backwards now. It always used to run in the selected position.

The Bachmann CV sheet and the loco instructions do not include any reference to changing the direction of travel. I use a Digitrax Zypher and mostly Digitrax decoders and changing the direction is a snap with them. I'm sure the problem is "user" error so any help would be welcome. Thanks

Steve

Define "backwards".

The vast majority of RS-1, RS-2 and RS-3 engines ran/run with the long nose leading.  The long nose is the front.

So if your locomotive runs with the long nose leading when you select "forward" on your throttle, this is correct.

However, if the loco really does run backwards, i.e. it runs with the short nose leading, then do the following: -

Read the value of CV 29 on the Program Track. Change the direction electronically by CV 29 by adding 1 if the value for CV 29 is an even value or subtracting 1 for an odd value. This procedure is simple. See below for the drawback with this method.

When you do a reset of a loco, it will give the direction bit value in CV 29 is 0 - NORMAL direction. A loco where the direction was changed electronically by adding 1 to the CV 29 value, the loco will go in the REVERSE direction after a reset.

MarkInLA

As so many helped me I try to give some when I can. I have same engine. My guess is make CV 25 a value of 16, enter it..Then go to 'binary (option 9 I believe)' in 'Prog. on  the Main'. Get up CV 29 and change bit 4 from 0 to 1,..enter it. Now go to CV 29 in 'Use Prog. Track' . Make CV 29 a 50 value, enter.. This should work. Also, there is really no F or R on a diesel road switcher. But ,if you want short end as front, CV 29 is either 49 (reversed) or 51 (reversed) instead of 50 value in table A. Download the Tsunami manual and get into programming and advanced programming pages. ...Mark

richg

Here are the two documents you need, right from the Bachmann site. Take your time reading them.

DCC sound on board.

Tsunami.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dcc.php

Many times a decoder reset will solve issues.

By the way, there is a HO forums. Some seem to miss the proper forum.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: MarkInLA on November 19, 2013, 07:26:34 PM
As so many helped me I try to give some when I can. I have same engine. My guess is make CV 25 a value of 16, enter it..Then go to 'binary (option 9 I believe)' in 'Prog. on  the Main'. Get up CV 29 and change bit 4 from 0 to 1,..enter it. Now go to CV 29 in 'Use Prog. Track' . Make CV 29 a 50 value, enter.. This should work. Also, there is really no F or R on a diesel road switcher. But ,if you want short end as front, CV 29 is either 49 (reversed) or 51 (reversed) instead of 50 value in table A. Download the Tsunami manual and get into programming and advanced programming pages. ...Mark

MarkInLA

Sorry but your comment "Also, there is really no F or R on a diesel road switcher." is completely incorrect.

In North America, every single locomotive has a defined Front.  This is indicated by the letter "F" clearly painted on the frame at the leading end of every single North American locomotive.  The "Front" needs to be clearly defined as all, yes ALL switching movements and thus all locomotive movements are given based which direction the  "Front" of the locomotive is facing.

The direction signals, either by hand signal or via radio are "Ahead" or "Backup" and are only given to the locomotive, or lead locomotive in a consist and apply to which direction n the official Front of the locomotive is facing.  Thus, if a locomotive is pulling a train in reverse, the signal to depart is given to the engineer as "Backup", because that's the way the loco is going when the train departs.  It's not "Go ahead."

BTW, the "Front" on an RS-3, in the vast majority of cases, is the long hood, not the short hood.  Unless your prototype had the "F" on the short hood frame, then the Front is the long hood.