News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Season 18

Started by seanrail, November 20, 2013, 06:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

therailwayinspector

At the moment I tend to doubt Culdee appearing; I reckon that render was Simply to keep the product promo consistent with all the other releases in the range; similar happened to Stepney I think.
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

thomasj219

I doubt Culdee will actually be in the show. As awesome as that would be I feel it's the same deal for Class  40 and big city engine. Just models.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Fergusfan17

Taken from Roll Along Thomas:

Series 18 confirmed for 'Trouble on the Tracks' US DVD
The 18th Series is confirmed to appear in an upcoming US DVD from Walmart this spring.

The 2014 season will mark its debut on the Trouble on the Tracks release from the retailer.

Five episodes featuring Thomas, Henry, Annie and Clarabel, Diesel, Salty, The Troublesome Trucks and Paxton will appear alongside the now official return of Toad the Brake Van.

Episodes include;
Thomas the Quarry Engine
Not So Slow Coaches
Flatbeds of Fear
Disappearing Diesels
Toad's Adventure

Extras include;
The Earl's Quiz
Guess Who?

The description reads; Cinders and ashes...there's trouble on the tracks for Thomas and his friends!

The Troublesome Trucks delight in causing chaos for Thomas, as Annie, Clarabel and Toad encounter unexpected high-speed adventures.

Oily Diesel gives Paxton a fright, while Salty's spooky story has the engines running scared. All Aboard for fun and exciting escapades with Thomas & Friends!

Trouble on the Tracks from Lionsgate Entertainment hits US DVD shelves in Walmart stores only on April 8th.

PRE-ORDER THE 'TROUBLE ON THE TRACKS' DVD FROM WALMART
Posted by Melad Moshiri at 2/17/2014 06:39:00 pm 0 comments
Labels: DVD/Blu Ray, TV Series

Chaz

Toad returning as well is by no means a surprise, but not a bad one.  I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing these episodes.  As usual, expect yours truly to give my insights on each of these episodes as I did for every season 17 episode.  It'll be fun to see the return of Oliver and Toad as well as these other episodes.  It also looks like Paxton is becoming a regular character now by making it to season 18! 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

DinoNTrains

I'm going to be the umpteenth person to say, "I'm excited for these new episodes" :P It's great to see Toad return, and with Annie and Clarabel experiencing "some unexpected high-speed adventures", that reminds me of a Thomas story that I wrote in my free time a few years ago. Maybe this episode will be just like it?
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

seanrail

Quote from: DinoNTrains on February 20, 2014, 12:28:59 AM
I'm going to be the umpteenth person to say, "I'm excited for these new episodes" :P It's great to see Toad return, and with Annie and Clarabel experiencing "some unexpected high-speed adventures", that reminds me of a Thomas story that I wrote in my free time a few years ago. Maybe this episode will be just like it?
Watch it and see.

Fergusfan17

Anyone see the news?

Wow...

Chaz

I have mixed feelings in this recent makeover given to Henrietta.

To get the worst out of the way, here is what I don't like. What I do not like is it ruins Henrietta's true characteristic. Even though she had a face in the railway series (only one illustration, which was published in 2007), the character Henrietta has always been noted to not have a face, which had been mentioned in various character bios about this character.  This new addition to the character completely contradicts that which I am not to thrilled about.  Another thing I do not like is the face design. The face that was picked for Henrietta looks terrible. If it was something similar to the faces on Annie and Clarabel, then I would warm up to a little more. But as the face looks, particularly the eyebrows, I don't think it looks good on Henrietta.

Now what do I like about this. Well I like that this could give us some promising development not only for Henrietta but also Toby as well. Out of the eight steam team members Toby seems to get the short end of the stick the most throughout the series. In season 17 he only spoke in one episode and that was it.  Plus Andrew Brenners other favorite characters besides Bill and Ben are Toby and James.  And seeing as how we got good episodes with Bill and Ben I trust Andrew Brenner will now give us a good Toby and Henrietta episode.  And it seems like every episode starring Toby past season six has been either boring or just plain terrible.  With how good we have seen the writing of the show in the past year, I think this could potentially mean we could get a good Toby episode!  So if it means redemption for Toby and also some development for Henrietta then I am all for it.

I am sure I will warm up to this soon but as it is I have mixed feelings on this dramatic change given to this character.  We will find out soon what is in store for these two characters.   

Zorran202

I'm getting the feeling that the Large Scale range will give Henrietta the updated face probably next year if tat ever gets around...

seanrail

Quote from: Chaz on March 12, 2014, 08:59:19 PM

To get the worst out of the way, here is what I don't like. What I do not like is it ruins Henrietta's true characteristic. Even though she had a face in the railway series (only one illustration, which was published in 2007), the character Henrietta has always been noted to not have a face, which had been mentioned in various character bios about this character.  This new addition to the character completely contradicts that which I am not to thrilled about.  Another thing I do not like is the face design. The face that was picked for Henrietta looks terrible. If it was something similar to the faces on Annie and Clarabel, then I would warm up to a little more. But as the face looks, particularly the eyebrows, I don't think it looks good on Henrietta.

Now what do I like about this. Well I like that this could give us some promising development not only for Henrietta but also Toby as well. Out of the eight steam team members Toby seems to get the short end of the stick the most throughout the series. In season 17 he only spoke in one episode and that was it.  Plus Andrew Brenners other favorite characters besides Bill and Ben are Toby and James.  And seeing as how we got good episodes with Bill and Ben I trust Andrew Brenner will now give us a good Toby and Henrietta episode.  And it seems like every episode starring Toby past season six has been either boring or just plain terrible.  With how good we have seen the writing of the show in the past year, I think this could potentially mean we could get a good Toby episode!  So if it means redemption for Toby and also some development for Henrietta then I am all for it.

I am sure I will warm up to this soon but as it is I have mixed feelings on this dramatic change given to this character.  We will find out soon what is in store for these two characters.   

love the style of Henrietta's face, but i would have like it to be orange like Annie and Clarabel.

PasqualeCS96

Quote from: Fergusfan17 on March 12, 2014, 06:54:22 PM
Anyone see the news?

Wow...

This is probably one of the most shocking things to happen in Thomas history...

DinoNTrains

Quote from: Fergusfan17 on March 12, 2014, 06:54:22 PM
Anyone see the news?

Wow...

Indeed this is a surprise. Now what I'm wondering is who will voice her? I've always wondered what Henrietta's individual voice would sound like.
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

Zorran202

Quote from: seanrail on March 13, 2014, 07:13:59 AM
Quote from: Chaz on March 12, 2014, 08:59:19 PM

love the style of Henrietta's face, but i would have like it to be orange like Annie and Clarabel.
Considering she also had the colored face back in the RWS Thomas and Victoria, it would've felt complete in a way...

Chaz

Well seeing as how most of us witnessed the Season 18 episodes from the Trouble on the Tracks DVD, here are my thoughts so far:

Thomas the Quarry Engine
This was a great start to the season, as we see Thomas taking the lead role in an episode that was by all means worth watching.  I loved how Mavis actually had a role in an episode.  We haven't had this since around the classic era!  On top of that the way how Diesel manipulates Mavis while taking her further away from the quarry was actually pretty clever.  It made me feel like I was watching some high school football player trying to steal a girl's attention, but not so much in the romantic sense.  It was great seeing Toby with Henrietta picking up the workmen from the quarry, it was a nice touch to the railway series.  Though admittedly I did not like Henrietta's voice at all, it got annoying hearing her speak after a while too.  But I'll give it some time to grow on me, but her voice by no means affected the episode for me.  The crash with Thomas in the siding was a lot of fun to watch and it was one of the most suspenseful moments we have had in the show for a long time.  Plus I like how the troublesome trucks spoke dialogue as opposed to "biff bash" or "on on on".  I honestly see no fault with this episode whatsoever and it was a great start for the season.  10/10

Not So Slow Coaches - Two fun episodes in a row.  It was interesting to see Connor and Caitlin both having a role onto the show again, as well as seeing Charlie actually working in the yard.  Yes, Charlie actually was working and not just pulling some train in the background or ran around the Island accomplishing nothing.  That could be more than said for Rosie, Neville, the logging locos, and a few other characters.  Annie and Clarabel's reactions to Caitlin pulling them around as well as them hoping Connor wouldn't say yes to the race was what made the episode worth watching.  Plus, it was nice to see Hiro come back while bringing Annie and Clarabel back from the Mainland.  The episode itself was enjoyable but it did have one flaw and it was a big one... how on earth did no one notice that Annie and Clarabel were coupled behind Caitlin's coaches and not acknowledge it?  I mean really, Clarabel opened her eyes wide enough to at least recognize it was Charlie pushing her.  The men at the yard could have noticed something to, so it was a unrealistic on how this incident had happened in the first place.  Nonetheless, it was an episode worth checking out.  8/10

Flatbeds of Fear - This was a pretty good episode too, but it didn't quite make the cut for me like how other episodes so far did.  To get the worst out of the way, I did not like how Henry was portrayed in this episode (which was a complete wimp).  It never worked for Henry in the past and it did not work well here, regardless of how the writing has improved.  Plus hearing Henry repeating himself "I don't want to hear the flatbeds of fear.." got really annoying.  Especially when he thought a cow would be the flatbeds of fear.  This episode would have worked so much better if Percy had Henry's role since he's more gullible in that sense than Henry is.  For what worked in this episode worked really well though.  Emily having a role was great, and I loved the bit with her season 8 theme, it was a nice touch.  Salty and Cranky were both very humorous in this episode as well, Salty especially at the end.  Bill and Ben were the perfect engines to be the next ones to listen to Salty's story at the end of the episode.  The animation with the mist was also done very well, as well as the visuals for Salty's story.  It's definetely the weakest out of the first five I've seen so far, but even this episode proved to be fairly enjoyable nonetheless.  6/10 

Disappearing Diesels - Yet another perfect episode!  It seems like any role Paxton is involved with is usually very amusing and this episode is no exception.  This episode really shows how much of a well developed character Paxton has become since his role in Blue Mountain Mystery.  Plus seeing Sidney appear again was also a nice touch.  Diesel was great in this episode too, and I love how despite him not showing any gratitude for Paxton his utter look of confusion when Paxton still helps him out anyway is a nice touch.  Much better than what we've seen from Diesel in a certain season 14 episode.   The scene with Reg was very funny and easily one of the best moments, especially when Diesel is trying to sound like him while hiding behind the cars.  It was an all around great episode and easily another one of my favorites.  10/10

Toad's Adventure - We now come to a close with the final episode of the DVD, the one that I am sure everybody was anticipating for the most, purely and simply for the return of Oliver and Toad.  And it was great seeing them both in CGI form.  I found myself happy with Oliver's voice and design (despite its flaws).  While I liked Toad's design I found his voice to be extremely annoying.  He sounded like that one old man from that movie Eight Crazy Nights (forgot his name) and hearing that regularly throughout the episode did get a little tiring, but that doesn't affect my view on the episode as a whole.  I would have been a lot happier if we had a voice similar to the one Alec Baldwin gave him in season 5.  As far as the episode itself goes, I will just say right now that this episode was definitely worth watching.  Escape was referenced, Toad gets a lead role, the 'Little Western' was referenced, and James playing a role in this episode was great!  On top of that I loved seeing Thomas taking Sir Topham Hatt and Dowager Hatt in express coaches, and the moment when Dowager asks STH to sing in front of him and STH seemed extremely hesitant was really funny!  In the Nitrogen era, I didn't find Dowager Hatt funny or interesting, but here it worked perfectly.  I guess if there is one flaw I have to point out it is how Oliver was treating Toad throughout the episode.  He sounded just a tad too concieted while focusing on himself while telling Toad his stories, and how he was snooty right in the middle of Toad telling his story in some ways felt a little mean.  Normally I wouldn't have minded it but it's Oliver and his trusty brake van Toad, to see Oliver act so inconsiderate like that and didn't make me connect to the character like how I normally would have, despite how much I love this character.  Despite that flaw it's easily one of the best, and I think it will be hard to top off.  9/10

So overall I think we are off to a really great start so far, and I am anxious to see how the other 21 episodes turn out.  Hopefully we will see more surprises like Donald and Douglas on the way. :)

TrainFan97

I'm glad Oliver and Toad are back. I'm pretty sure we'll see Donald & Douglas later this season. I hope they'll also bring back Stepney, or even BoCo or Daisy. I'll be THRILLED to see any of them in full CGI.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.