Grandfather looking for help desgning layout for grandson

Started by hhartman, November 20, 2013, 08:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

P.S.  there are some great little track plans in the book I referenced that uses EZ track and the author listed all the trackage needed.  
OOPs that was another thread... here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/The-HO-Model-Railroading-Handbook/dp/0873416082/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_5

jbrock27

Harvey, thanks to Jerry, I was reminded of this site that has 4 x 8 layout plans which kids might enjoy.  As Joe Satnik pointed out the last time I posted this site, just be wary that some of the designs may contain what is called "S" curves.  These can create derailing problems for larger size locos and rolling stock.  If you need more info on "S" curves, just ask.

I hope this helps you and your grandson:

http://www.thortrains.net/marx/kdlayhoa.html
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I would be wary of the plans on thortrains. they are full of s curves and other problems that lead to derailments. what looks good on paper is often not workable in real life. as an experienced modeler who has built many layouts over the years I can spot the design flaws which are not apparent to a beginner. most of those layouts can be made to work with some rearrangement of track components, but I would advise against building any of them as drawn.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

napa15

Hello Harvey,

I don't know if you have stopped viewing this thread or not, but I thought I would post up this option to you since I think it is a very valid option for the age your Grandson is.

Model Railroader Magazine just put out Part 1 of a video series yesterday of "Build a Family Layout", which is a smaller 40" x 60" SIMPLE layout specifically designed for the younger engineers. I took a screen shot of the video and posted it below. The good news is that this video series is OPEN to those NOT subscribed to MRR, so you can go and view the Part 1 video if you like. The link is below the picture. Also, just because they chose to use the Bachmann Thomas the Tank Engine trains in their example, obviously you are open to use whatever trains you want to.. keeping in mind the limitations of the radius of track used in the project layout and the choice of trains you run. For example, it appears this layout uses 18' and 15' curves, which works great for most of the Thomas the Tank Engine trains, but may not work well with longer wheeled steam engines (such as what comes with the Challenger set you mentioned).

Another thing is that it appears they designed this with folding legs, so it can be stored out of the way easily, though I can't confirm that since they have only posted up Part 1 of the build process so far.

Whichever way you go.. your Grandson will love it and have a blast. :) I started with my Son at 4yrs old by buying him the Thomas & Annie/Clarabel Deluxe set and starting on our old, unused ping pong table. Now, nearly 4 years later we have graduated from the Thomas trains and the ping pong table to realistic trains and a full on 4'x8' layout. :)

BTW.. if you do decide that the Thomas Trains option strikes your fancy (or your Grandson is even into that), I still have a good bit of those trains that we don't use and I'd be willing to get them to a new home at a very reasonable price.

Happy Modeling! -Chuck

http://mrr.trains.com/basics/family-train-layout/2013/11/family-train-layout-episode-1---building-the-frame

jbrock27

There must be an echo in here ;)

Napa, thankfully, he has not stopped viewing this thread.  I am glad for this.
Keep Calm and Carry On

hhartman

I received many PMs telling me that rude behavior is not typical of the Bachmann forum and that it's not tolerated.  I appreciate the efforts to bring me back.  That was very nice of y'all.

While I was gone, Joe Satnik and I passed a few e-mails back and forth and he was very helpful and encouraging of my plans for my grandson's figure 8.  Many, MANY thanks to Joe for his help!  Besides Joe, I would also like to thank others who e-mailed and PM'd me as well as those who posted hints and ideas to "my" thread in the hopes that I was still monitoring it.  Thanks!

I filled Joe (and a few others who I had e-mail conversations with) in on some additional details about my plans to introduce my 4 year old grandson to Model Railroading, which shouldn't be too difficult because he's already head-over-heals about Thomas and Friends on PBS!

First off, I should have stated in my initial post that I'm hardly a newbee to model railroading.  I've been an armchair modeler for many years, patiently collecting HO stuff for when that perfect layout space eventually becomes available.  However, I AM new to Bachmann's EZ Track which is what I'll be giving my grandson for Christmas.  Hence, the reason for my joining the Bachmann forum.

My grandson's first layout will be a "carpet layout" in that it will not be attached to plywood but will be assembled, operated (and probably stepped on) on the floor.  I'm doing this for several reasons:

1. It will give him hours of fun assembling and disassembling the track sections.  I think this will go a long way towards teaching him about assembly, disassembly, and the variations of such.

2. It will teach him to be gentle because if he steps on his trains, he'll break them.

3. The "layout" can be disassembled in a few minutes and put away.

4. He will be able to sit on the floor to play with his train.  (And who amongst us doesn't wish we could still do that???)

5. And finally, it will be an appetizer for his next (better) layout in March when he turns five.

As I mentioned in my first post, the Bachmann "Challenger" train set that I'll be giving my grandson includes twelve 18"R sections of black-roadbed (steel rail) EZ Track to make a 36"D circle.   (Yeah, I know, steel track.  Ugh!)  A simple circle won't likely hold a 4 year old's interest for very long so I decided to get the extra track needed to enlarge it to a figure 8.  My plans for his second layout in March will be of "conventional" construction (i.e. mounted to a plywood table). 

So, because of the figure 8 layout's temporary nature, I'm resisting the urge to upgrade the set's track to NS.  Therefore, in order to avoid a mixture of black and grey roadbed sections, the additional track sections will also be steel.  Since steel "train set" track is hardly a collector's item, I'm wondering if anybody has some laying around that they might be willing to sell cheap (I'll pay the postage, of course) for my grandson's figure 8 layout?  I need eight more full 18"R curved sections, and four 9" straight sections (one preferably a terminal rerailer).

Thanks for the help and advice,

Harvey

jbrock27

It sounds like a plan!

I do not have any steel track w/roadbed to donate but if you don't find any donors, a suggestion I have is search EBay.  That track is there all the time and you can do some comparison shopping.  You just need to be registered there in order to purchase items.

Best of luck to you and your grandson.  Have fun together!   
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Harvey,

Send me your address and I will ship exactly what you need. This is the least I can do for what you had to endure from those two clowns who ruined your thread ::) ::) ::) ;D.
I have extra NS in 18r but no extra straights, so I can send you the steel which I have acquired through sets that I have never used.

Jerry

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

hhartman

Quote from: Jerrys HO on November 22, 2013, 05:24:37 PM
Harvey,

Send me your address and I will ship exactly what you need. This is the least I can do...

Jerry,

You don't owe me anything.  (The other two guys don't either.)  I'll be more than happy to pay for the track sections and postage.

Harvey

hhartman

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 22, 2013, 02:15:28 PM
I do not have any steel track w/roadbed to donate but if you don't find any donors, a suggestion I have is search EBay.  That track is there all the time and you can do some comparison shopping.  You just need to be registered there in order to purchase items.

JBrock,

I'm familiar with eBay and I've made a few purchases over the years.  Unfortunately, eBay isn't the place to get a good bargain anymore.  It seems that lately, it's become a place for guys trying to get cash for their trash.  I've been burned a couple of times now.

Harvey

Doneldon

Quote from: hhartman on November 22, 2013, 08:13:28 PM
Unfortunately, eBay isn't the place to get a good bargain anymore.  It seems that lately, it's become a place for guys trying to get cash for their trash.  I've been burned a couple of times now.Harvey

Harvey-

eBay is like any other marketplace: Caveat emptor. There is plenty of fine merchandise at good prices on eBay but the buyer does need to be careful. Frankly, though, I'm not as suspicious doing business on eBay as I am walking into some regular retail stores, including some very big names. And I do think eBay has built in some meaningful protection like their buyer protection plan.

I can also say that I think the proportion of unholy listings varies from category to category. IMHO, model railroading listings are pretty straightforward; there's no reason for an experienced model rail to get cheated. And that goes for honest errors by listers. I also inhabit the Civil War artifact world and I can tell you there is a much higher proportion of erroneous listings and listings where the lister really wants to have a genuine artifact. Sometimes it seems to be because a piece came down through the family but mostly it's because they believe they have a treasure. So they'll insist that their iron ball which is of a size and weight never used as a cannon ball anywhere is, nevertheless, a cannon ball. Or that their medical instrument marked "stainless" is Civil War vintage even though the term wasn't coined until more than 50 years after the end of the war. Or that their 19th Century paper scraper (eraser) marked as made by a stationer for her majesty Victoria is really a bloodletter. You get the idea. A careful and informed buyer can easily protect himself from such errors the same as he can protect himself from the outright crooks. So ... don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
                                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

Jerrys HO

Harvey,

QuoteYou don't owe me anything.  (The other two guys don't either.)

Yes, yes I do. I am one of the other two clowns uh I mean guy's.

Jerry

jbrock27

Harvey I am sorry your experience was less than positive.  Not every experience I have had on Ebay has been either, but the majority of them have been, making it worthwhile for me to continue to look for items there  that are difficult for me to find elsewhere.  Even in those cases when the deal has been less than positive, I have found if I take the time to stick up for myself, it is still turns out not half bad.  I do agree with you that sadly, it has become a place for some sellers to unload their trash.  Bc of these types, as Doc touched on, you have to be discriminatory, knowledgeale and selective.  Asking questions I found, are extremely beneficial for a lot of reasons.

By the way, there was no third party involved in "causing the ruckus"; just Geraldo and I.

And to all, on a serious note, because I do not want there to be any further misunderstandings, I do not consider myself a clown, nor should you.  Anyone who reads this thread and comes away with that impression could not be more wrong about me.  Do I have a sense of humor?  Absolutely; this place can be dryer at times, than an old fart.  A lot of life a death kind of stuff here and offense easily taken at times for some reason.  This is supposed to be a fun hobby, but sometimes gets treated here like some sort of contest.   
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Geraldo? good touch Jim. Sorry I did not get back with you last night as I had floor seats to the Pelicans/Cavaliers game given to me last night. Mainly for my son not me.

Speaking of evil-bay I just purchased a coach and observation car to compliment my others (I was missing the observation car) for $20.00. I find patience is a virtue.

Jerry