News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Switches

Started by jbee, November 20, 2013, 07:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbee

I have two different types of EZ Track switches 1) It is solid metal at the end of the switch rails......2) It has a plastic spacer at the end of the switch rails. I m having problems of continuous power to spurs and yards and also no power to these with the second switches 2). any suggestions to what is going on... first switch 1) cuts power and powers like it is supposed to.

Jerrys HO

jbee

I don't understand but I will try. Do you have black roadbed on one and gray roadbed?
Sounds like you have one of both which is not the problem. It sounds like you have insulated joiners on one.  (It has a plastic spacer at the end of the switch rails.)
Are you DCC or DC, are there any reverse loops? Need to know so we can determine whether you need the insulated joiners or not.

Jerry

jbee

All grey road bed and I use DC, no reversing loops and one does have a platic spacer at the end of switch rails

jbee

plastic spacer between the switch rails not at rail connection point

Jerrys HO

OK they are not different switches they have different rail joiners. If there is no reversing loop, there should be no need for the insulated joiners unless you are using block control to control two engines separately. If no block control there is no other reason to have the plastic joiners. Did you purchase them used? maybe someone needed the section to be isolated. Replace them with metal joiners and you should be ok.
Are you N or HO or ?  

Jerry

Jerrys HO

Quoteplastic spacer between the switch rails not at rail connection point

????? maybe you are talking about the frog?

jbee

no not frog....I tried to post a pic of the 2 but it wouldn't let me........one is solid metal between switching rails(end of rails that move in the switch also it lays on top of the ties) the other that doesnt work properly has a plastic piece that slides the rails between the ties.

Jerrys HO

you need a photobucket account to upload pics here. Pics would help explain a lot other than guessing and giving you wrong info.
as far as I know all EZ track switches have a plastic throwbar which sounds like what you are describing.

Jerry

jbee

yes throw bar....the ones that work correctly don't have the plastic throw bar it has metal piece between rails where the other has the plastic.

Jerrys HO

I never seen EZ track with a metal throw bar but that's not saying they don't. What scale is it. Have the others with the plastic throw bar been painted or ballasted which could be binding the throwbar?

Jerry

Jerrys HO

check your messages sent you my e-mail. take yours off so hackers won't get it.

Jerrys HO

Ok in case someone can help jbee he has n scale turnouts which I am unfamiliar with I will post his pics and advised him to repost in n scale forum.

Jerry

jward

I can see one problem right now. it looks like the switch with the plastic throwbar  has the point  rail misaligned. it appears from the photo that the points are connected to the rails with a rail joiner, which appears to have slid forward enough to disconnect the point from the rail. if you can see the misalignment without sighting down the rail, it's serious enough to derail a train.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

James in FL

The one on the left appears to be the turnout in original release and is power routing.

The one on the right appears to be of a later revision, second or third? I'm unsure if power routing or not.

I agree with Jeff, that's a serious mis-alignment, also looks like both turnouts points could stand a bit of dressing with a file.

No joiners used in these turnouts.