News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Spectrum 2.8.0 binding up

Started by shel, November 21, 2013, 05:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shel

My HO Spectrum 2.8.0 runs very well most of the time.  Occasionally, such as on switches, something cocks up or pinches the running gear so that is is frozen.  It may be my imagination but I think this is increasing in frequency over time.  Has anyone else experienced or overcome this?

Thanks
Terry

Geared Steam

I just purchased one that was binding in reverse, sent it in for warranty.

ebtnut

First order of options would be to see if one of the drivers is going out of quarter. 

HDiedrichs

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,25699.0.html

I posted what I did to fix my 2-8-0 problems. Its essentially a quartering problem and it appears to be the third set of driver wheels from the front, the drivers that connect to the spur gear on the motor. Its usually a quartering problem. The rods on side A should always be 90 degrees to side B. The axles on these locos are split, probably to allow slippage so they get out of sync. The slippage can occur in tight corners or if the train falls off the track. Also you might want to put some washers or weights inside the tender toward the front to keep it on track.

shel

Thanks for your replies.  I think we have this one solved, at least for now.  The problem here seems to have been a little different, the alligator crosshead was coming out of the top guide.  I have returned it to the correct position but have not yet adjusted anything.  It runs so well I don't want to make changes unless the problem reappears.

Best
Shel

Sunshine Express

I had a new Spectrum 2-8-0 some years ago, and was enjoying running it on my 10x5 layout,but it got caught on a set of Peco small Curved points,and stripped the gears. I had a tech.repair it as new and sold it because of fear of this happening again.However I later updated my layout with the larger Peco Curved Points(Turnouts),and wished I had kept my "Connie". These small radius  points are alright for diesels,but even 4-6-0,s have a problem here. It, history now,hope it helps others.  Owen
Owen C Robinson