News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Made my choice...

Started by show33, November 26, 2013, 10:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

show33

So, after reading a lot of information on this board and asking a few questions I have decided which starter set to go for. I just ordered the DCC Digital Commander set at a very nice price on Amazon.
Also purchased a "bulk" lot of brand new NS track off ebay and I will be able to set up a double oval to start.
This is not the way I was thinking of going initially so I appreciate your input and expertise in steering me to this decision.
It's been over 30 years since I ran my last train as a kid...can't wait to get started again.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Ken G Price

Welcome to the forum! ;D
Model railroading can be fun and at times frustrating. But when you need help, as you have found out, there are many here, who will have had the same problems and are more then willing to help you.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Jerrys HO

Great choice, that was my first set also. How much space is your layout going to take up?

Jerry

show33

Jerry - I'm starting with a 4 x 8 for now. Could expand but it will require "planning permission" from the wife and kids.
I responded to your thread on the 4 x 8 layouts...be interested to see any more that you can post there.
Thinking I am going to experiment for a while before settling on something that I like.

Doneldon

Quote from: show33 on November 26, 2013, 10:41:58 PM
Thinking I am going to experiment for a while before settling on something that I like.

Show-

Always a good idea.

-- D

Jerrys HO

Show

As Don stated good idea. My layout changed over 30 times and is still metamorphosing.
It's never going to be what you want but what you can live with.

Jerry

electrical whiz kid

Good thought;  I am just starting to put the present layout together.  Am starting with a good servicing facility, and just making the changes as I go along.  Also, what I create, will be operable-a sometimes far cry from other "creations" of mine...  Good luck to you.
Rich C.

rogertra

The present GER has undergone a few changes since construction started last year.

The changes were made after it had been operated for a few months.

A new stub track just over four feet long was added to the north side of the yard as a set out track for local freight cars.  This keeps the existing four double connected yard tracks available for through freight switching without tying one up with local traffic.  This involved removing one track from the roundhouse trackage to make room for this new spur.

Changes were made to the roundhouse trackage to accommodate the above spur.  A new track was added next to the turntable and roundhouse to store the maintenance of way cars and the old maintenance of way track became the engine dead line.

The interchange was lengthened from two tracks that were around four feet long to two tracks that are now just under eight feet long.

This involved rebuilding the eastern access to the interchange so as to gain the extra four feet or so in length.  This modification involved adding a diamond crossing and two new switches so as to maintain access to the main track and to provide easier access from the branch that leads down to the USA and the NYC, CV and D&H.

At the western end of the interchange an oil dealer was added but this is switched by the GER and not one of the interchange roads as the interchange is maintained by the GER.

Modifying the interchange meant that the station buildings, originally planed to be in the wye form by the main and branch line junction was moved eastward around ten feet or so.  A four foot long "bay" track was added south of the main so that the commuter train(s) will now have a layover and departure track and not have to be "stored" on one of the interchange tracks.  Commuter trains now arrive from the east in the main track, the motive power, usually a 4-6-2, uncouples and runs east to the roundhouse while the 0-6-0 yard engines draws the consist back and then propels the four three cars into the "bay" where they layover awaiting their next timetabled departure.

I, like many of us, operate the railroad and then make changes, as required, after gaining experience from actually running trains.  It's all part of the fun.