Sears train set #476 2-10-4 Texas Pennsylvania

Started by aandds, November 23, 2013, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aandds

Looking for some information about a train set that I purchased today.  It is a Bachmann Sears HO train set # 49-95169, Item #476. 

All is there and has never been opened or set up. 
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jerrys HO

What do you want to know, you have the box in front of you.

If you are wondering what it's worth, only what someone is willing to pay for it.
See the link below...

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,21665.msg197476.html#new

Open it up and enjoy your new train set, It will grow on you. ;D

Jerry

aandds

I opened the plain white box.  What year were these sold at Sears?  This thing is huge.  I have not seen another set like this one with all the cars, buildings, track layout, and others misc. pieces. I just want any information, not what it is worth.

Jerrys HO

I doubt you will accurately get what year it was distributed unless you had an unusual fetish to keep old Sears catalogs and had the time to go thru them.
Here's a link to some old and new information if you hadve the time to look thru it all but don't get your hopes up that you will find anything.
Keep checking back maybe someone has/had that set and would be able to help. There are a lot of members so you may get lucky.
Sorry I could not help any further.

Jerry

Sorry forgot the link (I keep doing that) A picture might help also but you need a photobucket account to upload pics here.
http://www.hoseeker.net/bachmann.html

Doneldon

a-

Very few proprietary sets like the one you have show up in a manufacturer's catalog because the contents are frequently negotiated directly with the retailer for limited marketing, sometimes with special paint schemes representing the sponsor. Sometimes you can get an idea by looking for comparable sets but even that will only give you a hint at the value. For one thing, catalog values on model trains are even farther from actual sales prices than new cars.

It's not clear from your post if you're hoping to find out that you got a great deal on a train set which you plan to enjoy or a great deal on a train set you're hoping to resell for a killing. The first alternative is a pretty good chance; the odds of the second are extremely poor.

There's a widespread myth that old train sets are hidden gold mines. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most old train sets (and by that I mean really old, like pre-WWII), are in poor condition and therefore worth little. Old sets in great shape can be worth some money as long as packing materials are present and also in great condition. Newer trains, and particularly plastic HO trains have only minimal value, regardless of condition.

I suggest that you try to sell your set on Craig's List if you don't want to use it yourself. Listing fees, payment commission and shipping will likely eat up most of the value. CL will save that for you if a nearby buyer finds the set. If that's unsuccessful, you might do best selling the set in pieces on eBay, although that will take much more time and effort.

I hope you are looking forward to enjoying the set yourself or WITH your children; that's the real value of a train set. Second choice would be giving it to a youngster who'll like it. But whatever you do, good luck.
                                                                                                                                                                 -- D