News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender swop

Started by rogirby, November 25, 2013, 02:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogirby

I have a 4 wheel medium Vanderbilt tender, item no 89903. Can I run this as a replacement for the coal tender on the 2-8-0 Consolidation, item no 83605? I am not using DCC, but running on an "old-fashioned" 12v analog system.

richg

Try it and find out if no one has done that here. The connectors should match. There are wiring differences between some tenders from many previous post here.

Rich

GN.2-6-8-0

Worse case you'll have to swap the boards between the tenders
Rocky Lives

richg

The 2-8-0 shows a light bulb in the loco. No way to damage anything from what I see.
The two pin connector handles the track power from the loco. The four pin sends power to the headlight and motor. No way for track power to get to the other leads on the decoder.

Rich

rogirby

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I didn't look further on the site first.

Searsport

I believe that the Spectrum Baldwin 2-8-0 was at one time issued with the Medium Vanderbilt oil tender decorated for the Southern Pacific, but I may be wrong.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Searsport on November 27, 2013, 05:54:50 PM
I believe that the Spectrum Baldwin 2-8-0 was at one time issued with the Medium Vanderbilt oil tender decorated for the Southern Pacific, but I may be wrong.

Part of what you said is correct as far as I know. Bachmann did issue the Spectrum 2-8-0 with the Medium Vanderbilt Tender but it was Union Pacific. You could get just the tender in Southern Pacific, Union Pacific, B&O, and unlettered.

electrical whiz kid

Seems like a million years back, and from what I understand, these engines were pretty horrible runners; however, they had a look-maybe it was the Wotton Boiler (I think), which I had always liked, and would like to get my paws on two of them.  Reworking them doesn't seem to present any particular problem from where I stand.  I have gravitated down to mostly small-ish motive power, which was pretty common on the New England scene, which I more or less model.
Rich C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 01, 2013, 02:04:44 PM
Seems like a million years back, and from what I understand, these engines were pretty horrible runners; however, they had a look-maybe it was the Wotton Boiler (I think), which I had always liked, and would like to get my paws on two of them.  Reworking them doesn't seem to present any particular problem from where I stand.  I have gravitated down to mostly small-ish motive power, which was pretty common on the New England scene, which I more or less model.
Rich C.

Rich.

Are you talking about the Reading 2-8-0?  The one with the Wotton firebox?

Yes, they were not up to the Spectrum standard and I think that some people do confuse the two models.  The Spectrum model being far superior.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 01, 2013, 02:04:44 PM
Rich C.

I had on of the old 2-8-0 Reading locomotives, sure looked good but ran very sporadic. I think if was given to me in 1977.

Anyway with the Bachmann lifetime warranty I sent it in a few months ago and they only ther Standard 0-6-0 or 2-6-2 engines available, so opted for one of the 2-6-2 engines,

I was pleasantry surprised, they are actually decent runners.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

I have one of the old "Reading" 2-8-0s in my dead line.  I cut off the bottom of the Wotton firebox and added ash pans so it no longer looks like a Wotton firebox, made a few other minor changes so it looks like a regular 2-8-0, removed the motion and removed the motor so it's a free runner and now it sits, rather rusted, in my dead line.  Once in a while it gets switched into a way freight and get towed to Montreal for scrapping, just like my other dead line engines do every once in a while.   :)

Whenever I go to a train show I have a look around for basket case steam suitable to add to the dead line.  After all, I model 1958 and practically every roundhouse at that time had a dead line.  Sad but a fact, so I had to have one in my roundhouse area.

ebtnut

It would appear that if one wanted to delve into some kit-bashing, one could mate the current Connie mechanism to the old Reading superstructure and have a good-running I-10.  I might give it a go myself if I can track down one of the old Readings at a Timonium show for cheap.  I just got one of the original Connies new in box for $50 and that is a tempting bash.