News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout Sound Options?

Started by hhartman, November 24, 2013, 11:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hhartman

Hi All,

I'm thinking ahead about my grandson's next layout and I'd like to add some sound to it.  I don't want to get into DCC with sound decoders in the locomotives (I'm not ready to spend that kind of money on a 5 year old's layout) but would like to add a couple of sound modules under the layout that can be activated by pushbuttons.  Bachmann offers a diesel horn (#46208, mounted in an HO oil tank) and a steam whistle (#46209, mounted in a freight building).  Does anybody know if the modules are available separately?  Conversely, does anyone know where I could find a suitable module?

Thanks,

Harvey

richg

Look through some of the links in the below link. You might find something. Sometimes a project like this might require a little soldering but you never know what you might find.
http://tinyurl.com/n555yl8

Rich

hhartman

Thanks Rich.  (Yes, I can solder.)

Harvey

mabloodhound

Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

richg

Oops wrong link. What mabloodhound  just posted would be good. The link I posted was for someone else. Had too may browsers open.

Rich

Doneldon

Harvey-

MRC makes a sound unit called Symphony. It is fully self-contained and operates independently from your trains. There are some DC locomotives with sound but they tend to be pricey because they are really DCC locos which can be operated on DC with limited sound options. They might be a good option if you think you'll upgrade to DCC in the future. There are also some inexpensive sound units which run on batteries. They offer something like a whistle, bell and rolling train sound. You can frequently find them on eBay or at a LHS.
                                                                                                                                                                        -- D

Len

MRC also makes a 'Town & Country' sound system, similar to the Symphony train sound system, with two speakers, power supply, and control box.

With the Symphony you get steam, diesel, and general train related sounds, e.g., crossing gate, clickity-clack, etc. Town & Country gives you cows, chickens, rain, insects, sirens, horns, constructions sounds, and car crashes.

Some sounds can be set for continuous, while others take the push of a button. The speakers can be placed under the table, or inside an 'O' or 'G' building.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

hhartman

Guys,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.  One of the links that RichG sent me to had this one which will fit my needs and the price is right:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?search_type=jamecoall&catalogId=10001&freeText=velleman+mk134&langId=-1&productId=2130888&storeId=10001&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

Now, if I can find another one with a diesel horn I'll be all set!

Harvey