News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kitbashing Custom Detailing

Started by ALCO1000, November 25, 2013, 11:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO1000

I was wondering how many of us out there like to scratch build , modify and custom detail still or is interested in this area of model railroading from beginner to advanced people with there locomotives cars ect...? Or is the art of this being lost with so many variates of great ready to roll items.Has ho scale trains reached it's pinnacle of detail and technology sound lighting , detail ect...What is your take on this people and what projects are on the shelf or active?
Jack

Barney R

I do Jack. I was building a post/support pole for a neon "Diner" sign last night and I was using all kinds of different materials to accomplish what was in my mind. I have been thinking of this project for a year and last night was when it all came together. I should be done tomorrow and if I figure out how to post some pictures, I will.

Barney

Bas

Hello Jack

I also like doing this. And aspecially Bachmann trains are very good "targets". You can modify and detail a lot of things on those locomotives, but for me the most important thing is: Target is reached if you can clearly identify the engine and see some clear specific details, for example the L shaped window on an Alaska GP40. Bachmann doesn't make this, so I build it myself. But it stops for me if you start "rivetcounting".

Regards from Switzerland

Bas

jonathan

Jack,

I live for the scratchbash/kitbash/modification aspect of the hobby.  All of my locos and rolling stock have been modified is some fashion in order to create more fidelity. 

I don't count rivets, but I like to come reasonably close.  Tinkering with my models is the best part of the hobby for me.

It is getting increasingly more difficult to find detail parts.  Fortunately, there are still some nice craftsman kits around.  Though, the numbers of those kits are starting to wane as well.

One can look through my past posts to see how much tinkering I like to do.  Nothing is more satisfying than turning a sow's ear into a silk purse... or at least attempting to do so.

It's also nice to have something good to start with.  This is why I modify so many Bachmann locos.  They run great right out of the box, as a rule.  Makes the project that much more rewarding when done.

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

While not all my rolling stock has been modified/kitbashed every single loco, steam or diesel has had something done to them.  Be it major kitbashes of tenders and or new cabs and extra detail on the steam engines or added details and minor modifications to the diesels.

Few of my buildings are built as per the kit instructions and many have been scratch built.

My goal is, as much as I can, to have my GER look unique even if the basic kit can still be recognised, the structure will be different.

That's the joy of model railroading.  It's not just taking something from a box and running it.  It's making it your own.  Even if you just apply a little weathering or extra detail.

Thomas1911

Add me to the list. 

Very few of my locomotives have not had some detail changed, and being I model a fictional road, all of my diesel fleet is custom painted and decaled.   The majority of the structures I have built from kits have been modified in some form or another.  I don't want the exact same  things on my layout as everyone else.

Doneldon

I'm not sure that I am able to put an as-built model, moving or stationary, on a model railroad. That has even applied to the Thomas set-ups I built for two grandsons, with a third to be built this spring for my youngest grandson. For me, adding details, making something more personal or building in a gag is one of the best parts of the hobby. The only limiting factors seem to be that my fingers are growing ever more clumsy as I age and my eyes somewhat less reliable. Accordingly, and since I have some significant mobility issues, I'm having my next pike built to the level of track and wiring completed so I can devote my own time to the modeling and adapting which are the parts of model railroading I most enjoy. Well, that plus running trains.
                                                                                                                                                                       -- D

rogertra

Doneldon.

You sound like me, it's almost impossible for me to take something from a box and place it straight on the rails or even into the scenery without doing something to it.  :)

Even well kept passenger cars get a coating of road dust on the running gear and along the centre of their roofs.  Road vehicles get a quick spray of Dullcoat if nothing else just to reduce the overly glossy finish on most of them.  Buildings all get kitbashed.  Freight cars all get weathering and many have been decalled for the GER.  And locos?  As I have my own road name many have been repainted.   For the diesels,  various amounts of minor kitbashing for the GER "look".   If they are steam?  As previously mentioned, to give them a GER "look" they get various fittings either moved to the GER location or details added to give them the GER "look". Tenders seem to be my favourite kitbash for steam.  I think I've three or four variations of tenders behind my fleet of 2-8-0s.  In fact, I don't think I've a stock tender behind any of the GER kettles.  :)

GN.2-6-8-0

Yep kit bashing can be fun,finding the latest Bachmann Mogul with DCC and sound and that it did look similar to a small Santa Fe kettle  went ahead with a few changes
.Change the coal bunker to a oil bunker added air lines to the front pilot and digging in my parts bin found a nice looking single chime whistle to replace those sad little plastic nubs on the steam turret. I then found a nice set of Champ Santa Fe decals in a more correct white and got rid of the incorrect silver lettering.
over all she came out a huskier looking little engine with I think a very pleasing look to her....now for some light weathering.

Rocky Lives

ALCO1000

Quote from: rogertra on November 27, 2013, 07:37:21 PM
Nice job GN.

Very Very Nice indeed! I have read all the post on this so far and it is amazing how many true 3 D artists True Model Rialroader there are out there .Myself I enjoy all the phases of it and there are many ,weather it be a structure ,car, steam or diesel locomotive scenery  .The modifications seem very rewarding and personalizing when completed ,a rivet counter I am not ,like getting them close too ,but exploring what the builders left out intentionally is half the fun, because then they leave you an option to do as you will type of thing with detailing a certain phase you want or specific model itself.Great posts generated on this thread !
Jack

ryeguyisme

I'll just let pictures do the talking:

Hope that fuels anyone's drive toward kitbashing   ;D

Doneldon

Jonathan-

Very eloquent!

-- D